Opinion on Thermaltake SubZero4G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdot

In Runtime
Been thinking of getting one of these because I've found one for under $50. I don't think they make them anymore but I'm wondering how good it is for a mere $50. All the reviews I find on it are from 2003 and they don't seem very well written. Do any of you have an opinion on it? Here's some reviews:

Overclocker Cafe - Thermaltake SubZero4G TEC Cooler for AMD Review (not used extra case fans, perhaps explains poor result)

Thermaltake SubZero4G (extra case fans to keep case temp down, but reviewer doesn't have a comparison)

3dGameMan.com - #298 - SubZero4Gâ„¢ Thermo-electric Cooling (says very expensive but loves it. Again, no comparison product)

Can anyone find a decent comparison for this product? How much does it actually cool?

-Cheers

I just bought it. Came to approx $85 US ($105 AUD, £43 GBP) inc postage. There's one in the States for $60 but the company doesn't post to the UK. OPEN BOX: Thermaltake A1614 SubZero4G ActiveCool AC4G Peltier TEC Thermo Electric Cooling CPU Cooler for Socket 478 (Retail)

Mine:

Thermaltake SubZero4G AMD K7 NEW on eBay Heatsinks, Fans, Heatsinks, Cooling, Components and Upgrades, Computers IT (item 220140891359 end time 21-Aug-07 19:15:33 BST)

This is gonna be fun! I bought some extra fans, the case is gonna have 5 in total. I'm told this is important for SubZero4G as the physics is different to traditional heatsinks.

If you need a good heatsink for low cost get this: Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-SW-K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

Here's a review to prove my point: techPowerUp! Review :: Sunbeam Silent Whisper :: Page 1 / 6

I bought the Artic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro for my current system. I'm going to use the SubZero4G in my new system as I don't need that much cooling yet. How's the Sunbeam compared to the AC?

I bought the Artic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro for my current system. I'm going to use the SubZero4G in my new system as I don't need that much cooling yet. How's the Sunbeam compared to the AC?

From just looking at it on Newegg, I'd say they're about the same in performance. They look very similar. Both are towers with 3 U shaped heat pipes. And they're the same price. It wouldn't be worth it to get rid of the AC for the Sunbeam if that's what you're curious about. But if you're looking for something that's cheap and can perform very well. I recommend the Sunbeam.

For the love of god, dont buy any extreme cooling product from thermaltake.

I mean **** just look at their water cooling kits.

A good tec needs a huge amount of power to run effectively. Generally speaking people who use tec cooling have the tec running off a separate power supply and then have the hot side water cooled in order to give the best performance.

I have a feeling that when you get yours you'll find it really doesnt perform like you think it will.

-aspire

What about their water cooling kits? What?

I don't expect this to be as effective as a water cooling kit, but I found it cheaper. It's also safer. The PCI card controlling the TEC does indeed run off a seperate power supply- the mains. It's also quiter than a water cooling kit and most heatsink fans.

A water cooled TEC is the next level after water cooling. That method can produce condensation and frost if the temperature is low enough. I don't want to apply silicon grease to my mobo at this time.

Do you know about this product?

Edit: just to clarify, this isn't actually an extreme cooling product.

I read the review on it. 26 C for a 1.8ghz P-4

What cpu are you planning it run it with, If its a dual core you may have problems.

Also are you sure it will mount properly on your motherboard, aka does it have the correct mounting hardware?

I believe it mounts straight on to the 939 socket but don't quote me.

I was thinking of using it on my next upgrade to an opty 165 and i might also use it on my system after that which will be something like an amd 6000+.

Think it can handle dual core or should i go for water cooling? I'm not even sure about the 6000+ or something intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom