Building a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know a whole lot about PSUs either and was wondering if the

Antec Truepower Trio 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0 Active PFC SLI Certified 120MM Fan

was ok or if there are any problems with it? It's on sale and the same price as the PSU I was going to buy anyways so I thought I'd ask.

OK, how about

1x80GB seagate bara 7200.10 for OS
2x250GB seagate bara 7200.10 set to RAID 0 for games, music etc.

or would it be better to:

2x80GB RAID 0 for OS
1x320GB for goof.

Surely the reading of goof fast is more important than reading of OS fast....

If I RAID 0 the goof disk, would it be worth another 320GB for backup of the goof disk combo?

RAIDing the OS would be better for overall performance, then RAIDing goof.

Always backup, no matter what.

I don't know a whole lot about PSUs either and was wondering if the

Antec Truepower Trio 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0 Active PFC SLI Certified 120MM Fan

was ok or if there are any problems with it? It's on sale and the same price as the PSU I was going to buy anyways so I thought I'd ask.

I have no prior experience with it, but all reviews I have read have been very good. There seems no end of good (and rubbish!) PSUs on the market. That said, I've read great things about silverstones as well...
I've read many suggestions just from a few minutes browsing, a certain Corsair model comes up a lot, The PC power&Cooling Silencer comes up again and again, but is pricey, and there seems to be a dirt cheap but still very good Fortron Source one in some of the budget threads.

I think I'm going for something snazzy looking!

EDIT: b1gapl, what's the reasoning behind that? (not that I'm questioning, I just don't understand why OS RAID makes a bigger performance difference in, say, a game run off the goof HD than a RAIDed goof (hahaha! RAIDed goof!)). Would you suggest Apps on the OS disk, but games on the goof disk?

I would suggest either the SeaSonic S12 550w or the XClio GREATPOWER 550w, over both those PSUs, that you guys picked. Reason being that, you don't need 600+ to power a system. These 550w watt power supplies, have more than enough amps on it's +12v rails, to power any system, plus future upgrades.

As I understand it, RAID 0 works by splitting the data, allowing parallel read, but also makes reliablility dependent on ALL HDs involved not breaking.

Is it not possible to achieve the speed of RAID 0 by mirroring the data (as opposed to splitting it), but reading in parallel, thus allowing reliability through redundancy, but allowing RAID 0 load times? The payoffs being increased HD usage and slower writing times.

Is it worth using RAID 0 with 3xHD or 4xHD, or is there a 'law of diminishing returns' for using more and more HDs?

I believe with 4 HDs, you can run RAID 0+1. If you're worried about performance and data security, you shouldn't bother with RAID. But I think you should just get two hard drives. One for OS and personal files. Then another backup hard drive. Or get one large hard drive, split it up into two partitions. One for OS and personal files, and get a backup hard drive.

Thanks, that does sound like a good idea.
What do you mean by not using RAID if I'm bothered about performance? Does it not increase performance. Reading back on some of the RAID threads, there seem to be wildly different views regarding how much of a performance gain RAID 0 makes.

Ok, perhaps:
1x80GB OS
2x250 or 320GB goof, either RAID 1 or 1 drive just for backup, which is preferable? Do I get any performance boost with RAID 1?#

or, as you say, 1x320, 1x250, 320 partitioned for 1 part OS, 1 part GOOF, with the 250 as a backup disk. howzat?

Little dubious regarding combining RAID with partition, prolly completely unfounded, just paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom