Master/Slave problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

corye

Baseband Member
Ok my comp is all finished on the hardware side of things...only problem i have atm is that i have an IDE HD and IDE CD drive so i need to run them on the same cable...i have set the jumpers each possible way like the HD=master and CD=slave, i have also switched them around and to no avail i have even switched the cable a couple times...when i go to the bios setup thing it is blank next to the IDE channel master drive but it actually says none next to the slave drive...i got it to read the cd one time but not the hard drive so i dont know what to do next the cd drive is still good and the hd is a brand new 80gb WD HD (getting a new HD soon)

This happened to me a few times, with an older computer. Just check to make sure, the cables and connections are tight and secure. That was the problem for me. Try cable select on the CD drive. Why do you need, to have both the HD and CD on the same IDE cable? Only one IDE slot?

yea the mobo i got only had one ide channel so should i have master or slave onthe HD when i have cd drive on cable select?

The main hard drive should be master, and try cable select on the CD drive.

ok does it matter which way the cable goes? like should i have the end of the cable in the HD or should i have the middle one in the HD

Usually the end connector is meant for the master device, and middle connector, is for the secondary or slave device.

ok well i put the cd drive on cable select and the HD on master but i didnt switch the cable the end of it is in the cd drive and the middle in the HD on the setup screen it showed none for the slave but it said like PSOB for the master and then when i tried it again it said L1 for the master so i dont know what those mean...

Put the end to the HD, and the middle to the CD. I've never seen those PSOB and L1 terms before. Where did you see this?

Had the same problem earlier this week on a friends computer.

Set each device to master. Then plug one device in at a time to see if one is faulty. Always have it at the end of the cable. If they're both good separately, you could have a bad cable. Find another and check it.

ok well i solved the problem, lol i went and got a 320gb sata HD, so now im through all of that stuff and i tried to install windows, but when i booted it up and tried to run windows after the install its says that my video hardware wont run or something to that effect and it shuts my comp off...im trying to install windows xp and i have to run my video off of the 8600 gt i got cuz the vga on the mobo is a male end instead of female so i dont know wtf is up with that i have never seen a mobo like that...is that the whole problem? running it off of the 8600 gt, and if so how do i get a vga cable to go on there

******EDIT*******

I guess the mobo doesnt have video....its like a serial/com port or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom