Building a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It keeps things organized from your personal files...and if you wanted to reformat, you only have to erase one hard drive or one partition, instead of the whole thing.

For $200 you can get WD 750GB which is fast as raptor but have much higher capacity
they're not quite as fast. And there's also the seek time, which is something like 5ms on the Raptor compared to 8ms.

Though unless you really want bleeding edge loading times, it isn't worth getting one.

At a friends LAN I went to, we played lots of multiplyer games, and I was always the first person to have the games load (including 8 player C&C 3 games)
A few people got new hard drives then. That's when I got the Raptor, and I helped somebody else install 2x320GB drives.

Back to my original question real quick here; if I change the RAM and upgrade to the 8800GTS then everything else looks good?
I was also wondering if I need to pick up any extra SATA or IDE cables as I didn't have enough the last time I built my computer.

Yeah, reformat on a single HD is a pain, plus windows gets clogged over time. Its just good practice in my view.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but its relevant. With the above in mind, I was planning a build with 2 harddisks. The original plan was 2x seagate barracuda 320GB 7200.10, one for OS one for other goof. As for the OS HD, is it really worth bothering with a WD 74GB 10000rpm? It would cost a bit more than a 320GB seagate? what about an 80GB seagate, would that be sufficient? Is there any gain from using two identical hard disks, or does it not matter?

If you put both identical hard disks in a RAID 0 configuration, it would be as if you're running similar to the 10k rpm drives. Just make sure, you backup your stuff.

It's not worth the extra money for such a little space, that the 74GB 10k rpm drive offers. I would just go with two fast 7200rpm hard drives. One for OS and the other for personal.

Yeah, reformat on a single HD is a pain, plus windows gets clogged over time. Its just good practice in my view.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but its relevant. With the above in mind, I was planning a build with 2 harddisks. The original plan was 2x seagate barracuda 320GB 7200.10, one for OS one for other goof. As for the OS HD, is it really worth bothering with a WD 74GB 10000rpm? It would cost a bit more than a 320GB seagate? what about an 80GB seagate, would that be sufficient? Is there any gain from using two identical hard disks, or does it not matter?

I don't mind as it is relevant. I was wondering along the same lines if you're going to run 2 HD's then which one is the primary and which one becomes the slave? The one with the OS would be the primary I guess?

I'm also interested in the answer to Andy's questions as well.

I don't mind as it is relevant. I was wondering along the same lines if you're going to run 2 HD's then which one is the primary and which one becomes the slave? The one with the OS would be the primary I guess?

I'm also interested in the answer to Andy's questions as well.

Yes...the OS drive would be primary, while the storage or personal hard drive is the secondary or slave.

I did post an answer to Andy's question, earlier.

I did post an answer to Andy's question, earlier.

Ya; just saw it. You must have posted while I was thinking/typing. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll pick up an extra HDD too if this is the case.

EDIT
Is it worth it to pick up another 320GB HDD if I'm not going to be using it for anything but my OS (which will be windows XP since I hear vista still has a ton of issues) or should I just pick up some cheap 80GB sucker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom