Building a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATI is not a bad company...il bet they have just as many dud cards as nvidia

Personally, I've had and have had more real life friends that have had problems with ATI which has probably biased me towards them somewhat.

More people support Nvidia, I assume, from the wave of 8 series cards, I see here on tech forums. I think it's because Nvidia, has usually been on top in terms of performance. ATi's cards also have a tendency to have issues with their drivers. As for me, I have both an ATi and Nvidia card, that I've never had issues with. I like them both. But I would prefer Nvidia for gaming, and ATi for folding research.

....because that is a 10k rpm hard drive, which is faster than the regular 7200 rpm hard drives, of higher capacity.

Yes; I understood that much. I just didn't realize that it created that much of a noticable difference to the point where it was worth it to hook up another HD that runs like what.... $200 for 75GB? I'm not trying to be abrassive or annoying here, I just don't know a whole lot about HDDs and was curious.

Sabar

Yes; I understood that much. I just didn't realize that it created that much of a noticable difference to the point where it was worth it to hook up another HD that runs like what.... $200 for 75GB? I'm not trying to be abrassive or annoying here said:
/quote]

Yes...they're quite expensive for what they offer. Which is why I just suggest fast 7200 rpm hard drives, that are fast enough. Or you can get Western Digital's 750GB for $200, and from what I hear, is as fast as those 10k rpm hard drives.

edit: maroon1, beat me to it...

I'm not hugely experienced, but one thing that is an unqualified good idea is keeping the OS and system files on a separate hard disk to everything else (documents, data, music, games etc). Particularly with Windows. 75GB is more than enough and having a faster HD can only be an improvement.

As a question- is the extra speed noticable?

What's the thought process behind having windows seperate from your documents/games/etc/etc? Just so that if one needs a wipe you don't have to go through the hassle of everything getting screwy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom