OCing: X2 3600+, evga 8800, and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm wierd my GPU is like 50~60 idle at stock and around 70~75 at load.

I have 4 fans on this thing, but they are quite lolz. the temp inside is cool though not sure why my GPU temps are too high. Im using nTune to detect the GPU temp and thats it, maybe its not accurate :(

What you have to do to find the most stable overclock is to first downclock your ram all the way and loosen all the timming and then start slowly overclocking your cpu. What this does is anytime it crashes you know that it's not the ram's fault and you can correct what went wrong witht the CPU whether it be multiplier, temperature, voltage anything. Then once you've found the absolute highest it can go you do the same thing but for the ram this time.

Now that you have both your maximum frequencies you can adjust settings for the most efficient overclock.

**Remeber the ram speed and cpu speed are linked together. So let's say your cpu fsb runs at 200 mhz then your ram will run at 200mhz. When you raise the cpu fsb by let's say 5 to 205 then the ram speed will go up to 205.**

Hope that helped:)

What you have to do to find the most stable overclock is to first downclock your ram all the way and loosen all the timming and then start slowly overclocking your cpu. What this does is anytime it crashes you know that it's not the ram's fault and you can correct what went wrong witht the CPU whether it be multiplier, temperature, voltage anything. Then once you've found the absolute highest it can go you do the same thing but for the ram this time.

Now that you have both your maximum frequencies you can adjust settings for the most efficient overclock.

**Remeber the ram speed and cpu speed are linked together. So let's say your cpu fsb runs at 200 mhz then your ram will run at 200mhz. When you raise the cpu fsb by let's say 5 to 205 then the ram speed will go up to 205.**

Mucho gracias, this is exactly what I need to know....I'm hoping to start tonight I'm sure I'll be posting back here with more questions then. have never done this so am very clueless....and a bit weary of messing around in the BIOS screen.

Hmmm my RAM is running at 500MHz(1000MHz DDR) and FSB at 333MHz with a ratio of 2:3

So when I increased it to 366FSB, my RAM went up to 549MHz(1098MHz DDR)? or did it increase it by 1:1 ratio so it increased it by 33MHz to 533MHz(1066MHz DDR)?

Cuz when I did that my RAM was set to automatic and i got the blue screen of death which tells me it was a RAM Issue.

ok guys you're already over my head with that crazy talk....here is what I have in BIOS under my timings...is this where I start? What should I be dropping it to so I can concentrate on the CPU without worrying about the RAM destabilizing the system?

[edit]

Disclaimer: There will be a lot of dumb newb questions from me in this thread so rather than apologize each time here is my general disclaimer for all of them: I AM A NEWB...I FREELY ADMIT IT! THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

So lets get to the first one:

Question: in cpu-z it lists my RAM as PC2-6400 (400mhz) instead of the 800mhz it's advertised as...I take it there is a doubling that makes it 800mhz? or do i have a problem.

[/edit]

No replies yet and I can't wait any longer...when you say downclock the RAM what do you mean? I found where to decrease (raise) the timings...is that enough or do I need to adjust something else? The only other option the eVGA 590 gives me is to increase the timings to 6. Therefore from 5-5-5-18 to 6-6-6-18.

lol, couldn't stop myself so I started overclocking without touching the RAM...now don't really want to go any higher until i hear from others.

Here is what I've got at this point:

Q1: What are my CPU temps???? Core temp and speed fan give different results (see above image)...when I boot into bios it says 27 celcius.

Q2: What is actual multiplier? CPU-Z says 9.5, BIOS says 9.

Q3: What next? am stable at 253.5mhz but not at 260mhz (blue screen of death)....that means RAM is at 965mhz...I'm thinking i should drop the RAM and try higher on the CPU to ensure it is the CPU's max before uping voltage correct?

Q4: To lower RAM speed I need to raise the timings correct? Is that the only control I have of the RAM speed?

actually no, and certainly not if he has it set at a ratio other than 1:1, which would be a pretty odd (and uneccesary) thing to do on an am2 system. the cpu and ram are semi-connected (ie the ram speed will increase as the ext clock increases), but the ratio (divider) can be adjusted individualy.
ram frequency on the evga 590 (and all other am2 boards as far as i know) is dependent upon the speed (ddr2 400/533/667/800) he has selected, and also the cpu multiplier.
if your cpu is running at a cpu/5 ratio (ddr2 800) @ 2375mhz, your ram will be running at 475mhz, your cpu multiplier will be 9.5, and your external cpu clock (fsb if you will) is 250mhz. if you increase your ext clock to 275mhz, that will raise your cpu clock to 2612mhz, and your ram will then be running at 522mhz. 2612/5, get it? in no way is it as easy as "your cpu speed goes up 5mhz, so does your ram", unless you are running a 1:1 ratio. which is dumb if you have an am2 system and ddr2 800 ram, because you aint gonna get your cpu's external clock to 400mhz, therefore you will never realize your ram's full potential at 1:1.
1)cpu-z is correct, the 590sli reads the multi wrong.
2)i wouldn't trust any temp program/utility, only the bios. there are none that i know of that read a brisbane's temp correctly (at least a 3600, anyway...but i assume any brisbane chip)
3) yes, drop the ram speed. thats not the max for your cpu and that motherboard.
4)no, absolutely not. ram "speed" or frequency really has nothing to do with timings (well, it does kinda, but i aint typin that much more...lets just say it doesnt really...only if you loosen your timings you can get a higher frequency..thats about as far as it goes).
working....i gotta re-boot..momento please....
okay im back.
in your bios go to:
advanced chipset features> enter
memory configuration > enter
memory timings > enter
timing mode > change from auto to user limit
memory clock limit > change from ddr2 400 ( ddr2 400 will be there from the auto setting it really isnt running at that speed, its running at ddr2 800 stock) to ddr2 533 or 667.
leave the main timings (the five numbers directly below memory clock limit) set at 5-5-5-18 2T for the time being.

changing the speed down to 667/533 will give you more overclock, fo sho fo sho.
you also need to lower the ht multipliers (the evga 590 sli has 3 settings, in the system clocks section of bios) down from auto (or 5)
to 3. make sure you change all 3.

Ok, so if I read you correctly my next step is to raise my timings to 6-6-6-18 correct? That should allow me to play with the CPU some more...6-6-6 is the highest the 590 will let me go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom