First time build- some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the 8-core setup by Intel, I've read it somewhere. But here's what I found out about it. This isn't the original website I read up on, but it's still pretty legit. Oh, get it? Legit, legit review website? Oh man...

Based on the Intel Penryn core:

Legit Reviews - Intel Shows Off 8-Core 45nm Penryn Benchmarks - Intel Deals Another Blow - Is It Deadly?

Look at the pict with the 8-cores running!! Wow.

OMG, Intel is planning on a 2008 release of a new microarchitecture, codenamed Nehalem using the 45 nm process.

For 2010 (or by the end of 2009) Intel plans to release a new CPU core based on Nehalem microarchitecture but manufactured using the 32 nm process. This new core is codenamed Westmere.

Also in 2010 Intel will release a new microarchitecture, codenamed Gesher. The first CPUs using this microarchitecture will be manufactured under 32 nm process. They will feature the new SSE instruction set, called SSE4 (that will bring 47 new SSE instructions to the CPU), larger caches, and other good stuff yet unknown.

Looks like a new release every two years...

22 nm manufacturing process will be in the works by 2011.

How do they come up with all these strange names?!?! Well, looks interesting from looking at the Intel Roadmap.

Right, thanks for all the help, here is my revised build. Just about everything has changed! How does it look (other than very generic!)?:

-Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi Mobo

-Intel Q6600 Core 2 quad

-Crucial Ballistix 2Gb (2x1Gb) DDR2 PC2-8500 1066Mhz
(BTW, what performance gain would this give over PC2-6400 800Mhz; is it worth the extra cost?)

-eVGA 8800GTS 320Mb Superclocked

-2x 320 Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, SATA300
(or thereabouts, still playing with this, but some combination of 7200.10s anyway)

-Optical: LiteOn LH-20A1

-OCZ GameXStream 600w Silent PSU (I know there have been many, much better suggestions, but hey, I like it, and my mates one has never let him down)

-Thermalright 120 Ultra CPU heatsink -
(or Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro if I'm short of cash)

-3x Scythe S-Flex 120mm, 1200rpm fans (is this rpm enough for the cpu sink?)

-Case- still hugely undecided- I'm somewhere in the vast gulf from the Enermax C3030 Midi Tower to Antec 900 to Coolermaster stacker 830! It'll prolly depend on how stupid a mood I'm in when I press the 'confirm and buy' button.

How does it look? Any glaring problems that are going to arise?

Do I need a floppy drive? what if I am going to have a play around with RAID?

Thanks y'all for all the help!

The Ballistix DDR2-1066 are not worth the extra money, over the DDR2-800 models, because they can easily go to DDR2-1200, for cheaper.

Is this the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme? or regular? The extreme would be my choice....heh...maybe that's because I have one. But if not, the Tuniq is another great choice. The AF7 Pro might have a little trouble with the quad core, when overclocking though.

I guess the Extreme, although I was never clear as to what the difference was. What fan do you use?

Good to hear about the RAM, thats a few quid off the pricetag!

The difference between the extreme and regular edition, is that the extreme has a total of 6 heatpipes compared to the regular's 4. From reviews the extreme is significantly better at cooling, but it's also significantly more expensive. I use an Aerocool 140mm fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom