GeRm20

Solid State Member
By the way the names Germ and this is my first post at Tech-Forums

Anyway i have a dell dimension 4500

P4 1.8ghz

1gb ram

250 watt PSU

one cd rom drive, and one cyberhome dvd-rw/cd-rw drive

among other things now i have an older asus 128mb graphic card with an nvidia ti4400 chipset and i know for a fact my agp slot is 4x...it runs fine but im craving just a little more graphic power i was thinking of the Geforce 4 Fx5200 256mb its cheap but i heard its decent now my question

The box says 8x agp will the card support 4x?

also i have a 250 PSU...now this card from what i know does not need direct power from the PSU but will my computer be able to hand that card on the agp slot?...i would have 21 days to return it but i just dont want to go thru all the trouble of goin there getting it finding out it doesnt work and having to return it....any input appreciated...the box also says 250w PSU recommended i also have my pci slots filled if that helps

Hello and welcome, GeRm20!

That Geforce 4 Fx5200 256mb 8x should lower it's speed to 4x since that's what
your mobo supports.

As for your PSW, I'm not a expert at all on them so I'm going to let someone else
answer that one for you.

Welcome to Tech-Forums!

What is your budget on the PSU and VGA upgrade? The FX5200 would do fine but, maybe a 7600GT AGP would do a better job at new generation games.

For the PSU, you might want to look into the Fry's newspapers, Circuit City, CompUSA, and such others. They might have some PSU's on sale. If you're looking to buy it online, you can get the Xclio Goodpower 500W. Very good PSU at a great price.

Welcome to Tech-Forums!

What is your budget on the PSU and VGA upgrade? The FX5200 would do fine but, maybe a 7600GT AGP would do a better job at new generation games.

For the PSU, you might want to look into the Fry's newspapers, Circuit City, CompUSA, and such others. They might have some PSU's on sale. If you're looking to buy it online, you can get the Xclio Goodpower 500W. Very good PSU at a great price.

Im a Pc Technician at CompUsa (its sad that i fix em and have no idea on how much power consumption a peripheral part takes lol) i play F.E.A.R and FarCry but i am not a hardcore gamer...all i really want to know is if a fx5200 256mb would run on a 250w PSU....plus my Dell is 6 years old im not trying to upgrade anything else really so does anyone know?

And i forgot to mention Dell's power supply are a REAL pain...the way the case is designed it will not let u mount a power supply with a switch on it and all i carry in the store are the ones with the switches :( im going to build a hardcore gaming rig in the next year or so because im just getting into gaming lol (PS2 an Xbox for life!)

Oh, got you. :) Well, the FX5200 would run with a 250W PSU but sometimes, you might want to get a bit more Watts and AMPs. Is this 250W PSU from the Dell? Are you able to check it's +12V railings?

Oh man, I've seen a few of those. I had one on my VAIO as well. This means we'll have to find one without a switch. Darn, I haven't helped anybody with those kinds of PSUs. :(

Oh, got you. :) Well, the FX5200 would run with a 250W PSU but sometimes, you might want to get a bit more Watts and AMPs. Is this 250W PSU from the Dell? Are you able to check it's +12V railings?

Oh man, I've seen a few of those. I had one on my VAIO as well. This means we'll have to find one without a switch. Darn, I haven't helped anybody with those kinds of PSUs. :(

Yea a Dell power supply but i dont have a multimeter at the moment:( and what do u mean sometimes...my biggest goal is to have it run F.E.A.R with better graphics and with no problems

My next rig consists of....

Clear Acrylic case with bottom mount PSU

Antec 850w PSU (That new PCI-E 2.0 is no joke...about 300 watts a Video Card)

Intel Core 2 duo Processor

Asus Gaming board SLI (Forgot the model) but it is also compatible with the new Quad Core as well as Core 2 duo both are 775LGA

500gb seagate HD

74gb Raptor 10K rpm HD

and 2 8600GTS's SLI'd or if not maybe a 8600GTX....i think that should cover it lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom