ram? pc3200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirtbird

Baseband Member
hey, i may be looking to get some more ram. i have 1gb right now(of pc3200) and want 2 gb. so what determines which pc to buy, or does all pc fit all computers? i dont care about ram that OCs well since i dont plan to
i have a intel pent4 3.2ghz cpu and not exactly sure what motherboard, but theres "P5GD1-VM/S" on the side. also a few more question, is there any purpose in getting more/better computer fans if i dont plan on OCing anything, i run at about 62C now after a fwe hours of gaming. and isnt the lower the cas latency the better. y do i see so many people reccomending crucial ram with higher cas

i believe that any DDR 184-Pin will work. but its best to match ram sticks. so if you get another stick, then i think its best that you get a pc3200 stick.

hey, i may be looking to get some more ram. i have 1gb right now(of pc3200) and want 2 gb. so what determines which pc to buy, or does all pc fit all computers? i dont care about ram that OCs well since i dont plan to
i have a intel pent4 3.2ghz cpu and not exactly sure what motherboard, but theres "P5GD1-VM/S" on the side. also a few more question, is there any purpose in getting more/better computer fans if i dont plan on OCing anything, i run at about 62C now after a fwe hours of gaming. and isnt the lower the cas latency the better. y do i see so many people reccomending crucial ram with higher cas

62C on load? That's too warm. I would suggest you add in a case fan, or get a better CPU cooler.

Lower CAS latency is better, but the Crucial RAM that people are recommending, is probably DDR2 RAM. They do have higher latencies, but they have higher frequencies as well.

As of now, all current PCs support DDR2 RAM. You'd have to buy an older computer, if you wanted to use DDR PC-3200 RAM.

If you're looking to get a new computer, I'd suggest you get a new one, that supports DDR2 memory.

PC 3200 is ddr(1) memory. If i recall there is actually compatible pc 4000 ddr but anything from ddr 2100/2700/3200 will work. For the cost of upgrading memory (around 200 bucks for 1gb of ddr 3200) you should probably just save up for a new board/cpu/ram setup.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
2gb ddr 400.
95 bucks.
i would keep the sticks matched, although if you are not overclocking, it probably wont matter (but you do want the timings to be the same).

if you dont care about that here's some cheap stuff...
Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

question though...
how many sticks make up your current gb? probably 2.
how many slots do you have in your mobo?

PC 3200 is ddr(1) memory. If i recall there is actually compatible pc 4000 ddr but anything from ddr 2100/2700/3200 will work. For the cost of upgrading memory (around 200 bucks for 1gb of ddr 3200) you should probably just save up for a new board/cpu/ram setup.

200? you kidding me? im running on 3200 right now, and you can pick up a stick for 50 bucks for a gig. from newegg. if not, i might got some extra laying around, pm me

Wait veedubfreak, how did you get $200 for DDR?

DDR is super expensive as its not mainstream, the price of DDR2 is about half the price of DDR. usually 2gb of DDR-500 is like 200, DDR-400 is like 120+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom