Help with a low budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about using XP Media Center with my soon-to-come gaming pc. I found two on newegg with a BIG price difference. Not sure what I need... Hope you guys can help.
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/SP2B - OEM -- $109.99
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Media Center 2005 V2 w/SP2B OEM 3 Pack - OEM -- $349.99

I was thinking about getting xp instead of vista because I heard Vista wasn't that good and not very compatible with games...

EDIT: should I get a dvd burner with light scribe or w/e? and I've heard that the dvd burning on the one that I have picked out doesn't work right... any suggestions? NVM, they all have comments that say it doesn't work right, but should I stay with an IDE or go SATA? (I'm not planning on having a window, but I don't really like having big cables in my computer)

EDIT2: My motherboard supports SATA 2, right? (I think it does, not sure)

EDIT3: ok, I found another CPU which I think might be faster... Is this better than the other one I picked out?
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

the 2nd xp above is a 3 pack. you dont want that one.
light scribe, meh. sata if it is the same price.
the 4000 is a good cpu. it will stay cool like the 3600. 3600 will overclock weeeellll past the 4000 stock speed. they will both top out around 3ghz.

So your basically suggesting I should stay with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane instead of going with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane.

I still don't get how the 3600+ can be better than the 4000+, but I'll take your word for it. You sound like you know what your talking about.

lol i really dont. just kiddin. i say the 3600 is "better" because it is cheaper, and with the magic of overclocking, will perform just as well as any of the other brisbane cpus.

Ok, 3600 or 4000? It's only a few extra bucks... and if it was better, I'd go for it, but if I'm going to get the same results, I'll keep my $5 and buy a monitor :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom