Video Cards: ATI or nVidia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth H.

Beta member
In planning on building a new computer at the end of summer, one of my two largest questions is one of video component selection. With the myriad of quality video cards available, what are the real-life advantages (performance, reliability) that would place one of these manufacturers over the other?

I've owned an ATI Radeon 7000 (64 MB DDR) and was happy with it for about a year. It soon started to have to many instances of incompatibility with some newer games. I would have to roll-back device driver versions for one game, then upgrade to the latest drivers for the next...

After not being able to run at all a couple of games, I went ahead and bought an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 with 256 MB onboard. I was (and am) happy with the performance and reliability, as this card hasn't caused any issues at all so far and runs my games / programs at decent FPS.

However, in comparing to same-class cards from both companies, what offers the best bang for the buck? Both manufacturers are releasing highly impressive cards in the near future in the $400 and up range. I'm just curious for everyone's opinion here and their reasons behind it, I'm not trolling for a huge argument!

Also, in comparing cards, please compare cards of the same "class." In other words, don't compare a 256 MB AGP 8X ATI card with an old nVidia card with 16 MB onboard :p Thanks!

ati owns nvidia when the prices are comparable. however, with nvidias 6800 vs atis x800, its more a matter of opinion. nvidia is better when it comes to fps.

Get the 9800 pro 256 ddr.. it will last you a good 1-2 years.. pci-x cards will start to relase in about 1-2 years and you can switch if ya want.. the 9800 pro is a very powerful card.. will run a good 1-2 years of the next biggest releases.. i heard it oc's well too..

ATI is SO MUCH better than nVidia... It's not even funny. Go ATI.

Bottom line: nVidia stinks. Buy an ATI. You will not be dissapointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom