Starting up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFalls

In Runtime
Okay, my PSU finally came today and I put it in, and attached whatever I should have to their appropriate places, and fired the baby up.

After searching through BIOS for a couple seconds, I found the first boot device, and am currently 6% through with the format/installation of Windows.

After this is done, what's the first thing I should do?
My first intent is to go to Microsoft and get Windows Update. I could use some free anti-virus suggestions, since I would hate to reformat, because it's taking such a long time now.

And - How would I set up a wireless router in my house, so that without a modem, I can connect to the internet using only my router, and get Wi-Fi with my Nintendo DS?
I've tried lots of differant things, and right now, on my laptop, I connected the router directly to the modem, and connected to the router using the wireless thing built into this laptop.
Since my desktop won't have that neat feature, and I don't have a modem for my desktop, how will I set it up?
Will I have to buy a wireless PCI card and install that, or can I just directly connect my router to my motherboard?

Theres no reason it shouldn't. You connection should just be:
Cable Modem-->Router-->PC. You may need to restart the router after you connect the PC so it will find it, or restart the PC after you connect it tot he router, either one. Also may have to reset the cable modem if your connecting to the router, but not getting an internet connection to the PC.

Is there any way I can make this work without using a modem, since I have to buy another one and pay for internet again if I need to use it..

Are you currently just leeching off someone elses wireless with your laptop? If thats the case then you will need to buy a wireless card for your PC if you want to continure to do that with the PC.

I set up my own network with my router and modem on my laptop, and connected to that wirelessly.

I want to use my router to connect to someone elses' network, without a modem, on my desktop. I have 3 PCI slots left, I'll pick one up at a store.

I seem to have fixed it after playing around with the BIOS advanced options that only appeared after I hit F3.
It seems to be working now.

After Windows is installed, load your motherboard drivers. Download video card drivers from your video card manufacturer and do a Windows Update. You will notice that you're doing all this without protection. The site that you get all this stuff from are all safe sites and rarely will you encounter viruses through Nvidia or Microsoft downloads, unless if they're off at another site that links you there. If you go directly to the manufacturers site, you'll be safe.

Get AVAST antivirus. It's free and it's the best. I hear AVG is good too, but IMO, Avast is #1 in my book. I just stick with Windows Firewall for now.

As for the internet deal, you need a modem. Some people have modem/router combo so it's just one device, like the one I have. Netgear makes one and it's pretty nifty.

It's not hard to get Internet access. As Blueheaven mentioned, your telephone line or cable line goes into your modem, then to your wireless router, then you connect Cat 5 ethernet cables from the router to your NIC on the back of each PC (assuming you don't have wireless capability). If you do, you will need wireless adapters to all your PC. They come in PCI or USB design. I just use USB because I ran out of PCI slots and my laptop has built in wi-fi so I'm set on that.

Net connection should be instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom