hard drive format gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdLeft152

Daemon Poster
i started to format my hard drive when i realized i had stuff on there i was unwilling to part with. now my hard drive is unrecognizable in xp, however it shows up under disk management as 143gb section as healthy (active) and a 5.75gb section as healthy (unknown partition). my question is there anyway to get my hard drive to become visible again. at least so i can grab my information off of it and then reformat?

Wow, that means you screwed up the reformatting process. Only way to fix this problem now is to reformat the whole thing. I think your files are going to be loss. When you reformat, you have to see if you're actually going to reformat your HDD. Always create Partitions or back up files into CD/DVD.

There are some programs out there that allow you to recover data (not 100% of it, but a fair amount), even after the HDD is formatted (well, unless you used a utility to 'nuke' your drive..then it's gone). Not sure about which is the best program out there to use...but I'm sure somebody on here has some experience with one.

yeah i know there are programs like that. i actually have had this happen to me once before, but it wasn't my fault the format stopped, my comp rebooted for no reason. i don't remember how i fixed it though. i think if i just format the hdd i can try to recover some of the stuff, or figure out how to get that "healthy" section to show up.

well it wasn't necessarily important information, but more along the lines of pictures from throughout my life, lots and lots of school work that could help me out this year, and just little odds and ends. the way i organized things wasn't very good i guess and all of this was in a folder i overlooked.

best bet is to format completely then get your hand on some recovery software there was one i used in the past and managed to recover 100% of the data, can't remember what it was called though all i remember was some of the logo was red and had a bulldog on i think:S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom