Netgear Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
OK, so connecting an ethernet cord directly to my cable modem works just fine. However, when I try to connect to the internet through my router (which is, of course, plugged into the modem), windows says there is no internet (although it does realize that the computer is plugged into something). The router looks like it should be working (i.e. all the correct lights are on), but there is still some issue fouling things up.

Also, I logged into the router and reset it to default settings and then told the it to attempt to determine what type of connection was present. It figures that part out, but can't ever access the internet. Any ideas?

DHCP is not active. Go into your network properties of the Network Interface Card you are using and manually point the gateway to your router's IP. Set an IP address that is on your router's network. Meaning if the router's IP is 192.168.0.254 then you set your computer's IP as 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.253, any of the numbers within there. Subnet will be automatically supplied, if not it is 255.255.255.0. Set your DNS server as your router's IP address.

This should fix it, if not, then respond.

OK, Sodaen, I just tried that and nothing works. I played with all those settings a bit too and had no luck.

However, when I right click my Local Area Connection>Properties> and select Properties of TCP/IP>Advanced it says that DHCP is enabled.

OK, Sodaen, I just tried that and nothing works. I played with all those settings a bit too and had no luck.

However, when I right click my Local Area Connection>Properties> and select Properties of TCP/IP>Advanced it says that DHCP is enabled.

Well, if DHCP wasn't enabled on the NIC then when you tried going from your cable modem to your PC directly, that wouldn't work either. Please describe, in detail (which ports, etc), each connection and where the connections are going from/to. Also, please describe the cables you are using. Obviously, the cable that you are using from the cable modem to the PC directly is fine, but please describe the other one that you are using.

OK, so if I have an ethernet (RJ45?) cable from the cable modem directly to the computer (Intel PRO/100 VE), I can use the internet without a problem.

If I then take the same ethernet cable (or any other of my ethernet cables as I've tested all of them) and hook it into my wireless router and then use another ethernet cable to connect my computer to my router the internet does not work. The "I" light on the router is lit, meaning that the router at least thinks it is connected to the internet, but nothing get through to the computer. The router works fine, however, with other modems. My ISP recently gave us a new modem because the old one was faulty.

I'm not sure how to address your question as to which ports are being used because I don't really know what you're referring to, mikesgroovin. Can you be more specific or tell me how to check?

OH MY GOD, I'm so sorry.

"It figures that part out, but can't ever access the internet. Any ideas?"

I didn't even read that. What bad formality I have sometimes. If it can't reach Internet from a router it could be any number of reasons, the most common: Can not detect signal, followed by not being able to detect the server. It is possible when it tries to connect it needs DHCP but it is statically linked to some false address.

I just wish I could help you in more detail, but those are the two most common reasons.

OK, but when I plug directly into the modem I get a great connection. Its just when the connection is routed through the router that I have a problem. I've tested the router with a friend's modem with no trouble, so I know the router works fine.....Can/Should I somehow reset the "false address"??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom