Did lightning strike my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Last night, we had a thunderstorm like we've never had before. This morning, the family computer won't turn on. The light to the power supply is on, but when you press the power switch, nothing happens. I've checked things such as motherboard connecters and such, everything is fine. The computer was off, plugged into a surge supressor, but we didn't unplug the surge supressor during this storm. Is there anything else I could try, or is that computer shot? Thanks for all the replies in advance.

unplug it all and replug itin, see if it turns on, also check that the surge protector's kick off swith is turned off then back on, if still no computer then take it apart and smell the power supply for that distinctive electronics-buen smell, cgeck all components for any scorch marks. hope all is well with it.

Man, it really sucks because its an HP and they're not real easy to replace a single part such as the powersupply, mobo, etc.

Try reseting BIOS by taking the battery out, changing pins and reconnecting (refer to manual if necessary).

It is most likely a motherboard problem if the PSU is still receiving power.

NYY DYNASTY said:
yeah, its more than likely a faulty mobo.

I have come to the conclusion that this is what the problem is. Now the problem is trying to put a new mobo in an HP computer without the "special" factory screwdriver HP uses.

beedubaya, the first thing you need to do is install a new PSU. Better yet, take your current PSU to a comptuer shop in your neighborhood and ask them to test it out. chances are it's fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom