2 reformating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

In Runtime
A Friend has an older gateway 4600 which originally came with ME on it but long ago was upgraded with xp home cd from GW .
He's wanting to reformat,he still has the xp upgrade cd(2002 version)and 2-xp companion cds.

1-Would it still be possible to do this with the xp upgrade cd if so how would he go about it? And.

2- If so could he create a new cd with all updates on it?

Thanks for any help

If he only has the Windows XP UPGRADE disk he will not be able to install Windows XP onto a formated hard drive.
If you can find the Windows ME install disk (not upgrade) or even a Windows 2000 install disk. Install that, then use the Windows XP upgrade disk that would work.

i think the upgrade disk is only to upgrade xp itself i think, never knew you could buy an upgrade of xp and install it on top of me

maybe it is an installtion disk and he sees it has upgrading his pc.

just a thought

I was thinking the same thing poorman hes just trying to clean up his system, I figured reformatting was his best option.

But would there be a quicker way then reinstalling me (not sure if he still has original me cd and key to activate)
And then upgrading to xp and then having to get window updates and patches if still possable.

jay bo he purchased system with me on it right before xp came out so he raised h*ll with GW to gave him a upgrade.
Its a legit xp home cd and has upgrade on it

Thanks for the help

You can use the Upgrade disc to do a fresh install. But it will ask for a OS disc during install. So you will need the ME disc or 98 Disc to complete the install. But you can use it to do a fresh install with.

nlite can create a new CD with all updates. But i dont think it would work with the Upgrade Version. I think it would only work with the full version.

You can use the Upgrade disc to do a fresh install. But it will ask for a OS disc during install. So you will need the ME disc or 98 Disc to complete the install. But you can use it to do a fresh install with.

nlite can create a new CD with all updates. But i dont think it would work with the Upgrade Version. I think it would only work with the full version.

agreed

Thanks Makaveli & Eric I remember reading somewhere that you can't get older updates and patches anymore.
Not sure if that would make any difference. He has all the updates and patch on his system now would there be away to copy them to a flash drive and reinstall them to the fresh install?

Thanks

The best thing to do is get AutoPatcher. But those only go from SP2 and on. Before SP2 all the updates are included in SP2 so that doesnt really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom