SATA HDD disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

goo_lu

Solid State Member
Yesterday night, my house RCD tripped while I'm uploading file to internet. After recovered PC power, I found that my SATA HDD disappeared from windows XP HDD list - other 2 IDE HDD, FDD, DVD drives & movable drive remained. I opened device manager, selected drives icon and right clicked on it then forced it to scan for hardware change. Device manager didn't found the SATA drive.

However, every time I rebooted the PC, BIOS reported existence of the SATA HDD. I tried connect that SATA HDD to SATA0 then 1 of my gigabyte GA-8S655FX(-L) motherboard (my motherboard had 2 available SATA ports). Each time BIOS could found the HDD drive.

Was my SATA dead ? If no, how could I make XP to discover it again ?

Yesterday night, my house RCD tripped while I'm uploading file to internet. After recovered PC power, I found that my SATA HDD disappeared from windows XP HDD list - other 2 IDE HDD, FDD, DVD drives & movable drive remained. I opened device manager, selected drives icon and right clicked on it then forced it to scan for hardware change. Device manager didn't found the SATA drive.

However, every time I rebooted the PC, BIOS reported existence of the SATA HDD. I tried connect that SATA HDD to SATA0 then 1 of my gigabyte GA-8S655FX(-L) motherboard (my motherboard had 2 available SATA ports). Each time BIOS could found the HDD drive.

Was my SATA dead ? If no, how could I make XP to discover it again ?

Mow???... :/... am I just a newb? i understand only SATA hard drive disk and windows xp.... :(

check if the sata HD is spinning when you boot up, if yes then check the sata cable , if its not spinning then take a look at the PSU

check if the sata HD is spinning when you boot up, if yes then check the sata cable , if its not spinning then take a look at the PSU

That's no way I could check. All the mechanical parts of the HDD were sealed under metallic cover. Also, the HDD had no front side LED showing if it's powered up or spinning.

Everything inside the PC (include the case itself) is slightly vibrating because the fans (CPU, PSU) are running. I couldn't tell whether the vibration is due to itself or by vibration of other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom