Changing File Path of Music in WMP11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
as the title says, I want to change the file path for the music in my library. Since the library points to G:\Local Files\My Music and I want to move my music to the extended partition of my new RAID array at E:\Multimedia\Music

Does anyone know how to tell WMP11 where to look for the files once I move them?

I need to keep the library itself in-tact, since I use the auto-playlist feature almost exclusively.

Except that will add all my music to the library as *new files* and the media information currently attached to them will be lost. That does me no good, since I want to avoid spending 100+ hours re-tagging all of my media.

Also a side note, it really, REALLY ****es me off that I can't un-maximize the WMP window without putting it in mini-player mode. I want to see my playlist details as I edit them, but there is absolutely NO REASON I need it displayed in a 1680x1050 window on top of everything else I'm working on. Is there any way to change this behavior?

I'm hating WMP11 more with every minute I use it...

EDIT: wow, it censored a virtually benign word, and the asterisks make my language look implicitly a lot worse than it really is....

Also a side note, it really, REALLY ****es me off that I can't un-maximize the WMP window without putting it in mini-player mode. I want to see my playlist details as I edit them, but there is absolutely NO REASON I need it displayed in a 1680x1050 window on top of everything else I'm working on. Is there any way to change this behavior?
Hit the "Restore" button that changes to "Maximize" when windowed? And if it's already set to window mode, then just drag the bottom-right corner =\. Mine is windowed, and it's not in mini-mode...

Except that will add all my music to the library as *new files* and the media information currently attached to them will be lost. That does me no good, since I want to avoid spending 100+ hours re-tagging all of my media.

I'm hating WMP11 more with every minute I use it...

EDIT: wow, it censored a virtually benign word, and the asterisks make my language look implicitly a lot worse than it really is....

next time use musicmatch to tag them. it automatically change the windows tag. if you didn't tag the music Wmp will remember the tags.

we all had moved our music and never had this issue. worst case backup your wmp application data folder

Hit the "Restore" button that changes to "Maximize" when windowed? And if it's already set to window mode, then just drag the bottom-right corner =\. Mine is windowed, and it's not in mini-mode...

Doesn't work.... the maximize/restore button just toggles between max and mini... the minimize button puts it in the toolbar. I've tried every comhbination of window controls there are, and there just isn't any way to get it windowed in full mode. You can't drag the corner - it's fixed size...

next time use musicmatch to tag them. it automatically change the windows tag. if you didn't tag the music Wmp will remember the tags.

we all had moved our music and never had this issue. worst case backup your wmp application data folder

I'll try backing up the wmdb files and then copying the media/disconnecting the external to see if I can re-add the same library files...

I know that in WMP10 this didn't work, and I haven't yet noticed any better behavior from WMP11 as far as handling directories... if anything, it's gotten worse.

wmp 11 is a pain in the arse. I Personally use win amp or tag scan 5 to make my playlist. follow the advice below to save your playist to your old music directory as m3u files, then copy them over.

change your playlist to m3u. open it in wmp then hit file, save now playing list as, then pick the m3u extension.

wmp 11 is a pain in the arse. I Personally use win amp or tag scan 5 to make my playlist. follow the advice below to save your playist to your old music directory as m3u files, then copy them over.

Find me a reliable way to transfer my current tagging and auto-playlist system to another player, and I'll probably do that.

That's the thing, though... it's a system. I don't have any fixed playlists - they're all generated each play based on my rating system and other media info. I could save my TTSGS playlist to an m3u today, but it would be obsolete tomorrow if I got any new media or changed ratings. As it is, I only update the file's library info, and the playlists do the rest, whereas if I went with fixed playlists, I'd have to manually edit 5+ different playlists for every new track I add/modify.

Less micro-management is important when you have 3000+ items in your library and over a dozen different playlists.

I loved WMP9... WMP10 was ok, but it took some getting used to... I don't think I'll ever get used to the retardedness of WMP11 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom