Overclocked my PC!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinoy3000

Daemon Poster
Woot haha, I was afraid what I would or could have done if I overclocked my computer. I just did! ehhe

Anyway, First of all, I just reinstalled vista on my computer because my DVD Burner wasnt recognized by windows. After reinstalling Windows Vista, my DVD Burner now is recognized. I didnt have the time to install 3D Benchmark back yet again but Ill do it later today after I get off work or sometime tomorrow.

So today, I thought about overclocking my system.

So I did and when I went to the BIOS, I set the Jumper Configuration thingy to Manual and set my CPU frequency from 266 to 300. Hehe I know its a big leap but my CPU was running at 2.4GHz with 266 frequency so it has 9 multipliers.

Right now, Im running it at 2.7GHz with 300 frequency.

My Windows Vista Score for my CPU went from 5.3 to 5.5! :D

So my question is......... should I overclock it more? I set the voltage to automatic, should I set it to manual? If so what voltage should I set it at? I dont know what voltage i started at when it was running at 2.4GHz.

Another question is..... what are my necessary tools to overclock my system successfuly? I know people has those CPUZ or something like that and they use 3D Benchmark to Bencmark their system after overclocking and see if it got stable or what not. Which brings me to my other question, how do you know when ur system is stable? When it crashes on 3D Benchmark?

thanks guys. Hopefully I can overclock this system much more :D haha

Im soo excited now, grr but I have to go to work first lolz.

get prime95 to stress test your comp after every time you increase the fsb (increase it in increments of 5). i also have everest to monitor my system temps and other stuff....

Oh, so should I start over and back to 266 and then change it to 271? Or from now on, do 5 increments from 300 then change it to 305?

And links for the Prime 95 and Everest would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Edit: And should I overclock my GPU too? I dont know how to do that hehe, and my memory, when I click manual on the BIOS, it shows me the different numbers like 400, 800, 1022 or something like that. I know my G-Skill runs at 800 whatever that means. Lolz.

Orthos is much better. ;) Just Google up these programs: Orthos, Everest Home Edition, ATI Tool (VGA overclocking), RightMark, and CPU-Z. Just stick with CPU overclocking right now. Change it back to 266MHz and up it to 277MHz then run Orthos for at least 8 hours + for the best results. I'm only telling you to UP the MHz at a certain pace because I don't know if you're down to UP the MHz to about 333 then see if it's stable or not then lower it from there. But the way I just told you, UP to 277MHz, is the slower and easier way to get the most stable system. Also, did you disabled EIST and C1E in your BIOS? There are some settings you have to disable.

Prime95 and everest are easy to find. jsut check google.

You want to keep your cpu under 60C under load. The cooler the better. The ram numbers refer to the speeds at which you can run your ram. These are called ram dividers. The higher you over clock your cpu, the higher your ram will go and you will need to under clock the ram to keep it operating right. Also after you get to a certain threshold you have to adjust the voltage of the cpu to get it to go any higher.

Oh, so should I start over and back to 266 and then change it to 271? Or from now on, do 5 increments from 300 then change it to 305?

And links for the Prime 95 and Everest would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Edit: And should I overclock my GPU too? I dont know how to do that hehe, and my memory, when I click manual on the BIOS, it shows me the different numbers like 400, 800, 1022 or something like that. I know my G-Skill runs at 800 whatever that means. Lolz.

No its fine, a standard first OC for an e6600 would be to 3.0ghz, so with a 9x multiplier you can increase your fsb to around 333, then start increasing in increments of 5 each time, then run orthos for a while, make sure everything is good, if it gives you an error message then you need to increase the voltage of the cpu, repeat process until the cpu gets too hot, then back down a bit.

okay I just got back from work and downloaded CPU-Z and it shows here my CPU Speed is 1800MHz but when say I do something in the computer, like load a website it goes up to 2700Mhz.........

Heres a picture....

Shot at 2007-08-20

And when the computer loads up like when i refresh a webpage the CPU-Z reading changes to this...

Shot at 2007-08-19

Is this suppose to happen?

This is Intel's Speedstep Technology, aka CIST. It revs up the frequency, when doing something that requires a bit more CPU power. Then it lowers, when idling, to save power or energy. You can choose to disable this, in the BIOS menu.

Should I disable it or enable it? If so, how?

Also im about to change the memory stuff too in the bios lolz. Should i change the timings to 4-4-4-12 on my RAM? And change it to 800Mhz?

One last thing, on the BIOS, i set my CPU voltage to automatic, is that okay even if my CPU Frequency is on manual?

And should i change the um...... multiplier to 10 or leave it to 9?

Edit: and where is this ...... EIST and C1E thing? someone mentioned that i should disable it. I dont know if I found that in the BIOS yet. :D

And heres the guide im reading too....

Asus P5B-Deluxe: Overclocking and Tweaking Guide - The Tech Repository Forums

You can disable the CIST if you want to. EIST is a mistake. It's CIST. You can disable CIST and C1E, in the advanced section of the BIOS.

You should set your RAM to 4-4-4-12, if you're running it at DDR2-800 speeds, because that is the manufacturer's spec.

Sometimes the CPU voltage on auto, gives more voltage than needed. It would be better to manually set it.

You can't change the multiplier higher, because the E6600 it is not an extreme edition processor, like the X6800. It's multiplier is locked from going higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom