Core 2 FSB and Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
Was just reading wiki about Core 2 Duo's and memory speed. Wikipedia - Intel Core 2

I'm getting a Q6600 very soon but it's saying I should get DDR2-533 instead of DDR2-800. Should I do this? Or should I get high end DDR2-800 and overclock the RAM to match the FSB? Or would it be better to overclock the FSB to 1333Mhz and have the RAM at 667Mhz?

EDIT: What's a good, inexpensive heatsink for the Q6600?

yes it does.. he supports getting high-end ddr2-800\

and tuniq tower 120 or thermalright extreme 120

I guess he answered my question, but he still could have meant I get that RAM and have it run at 667Mhz. Not logical, but now that I re-read it, it understand what he meant.

I like G.Skill, how are they in terms of overclock performance. How high of an overclock could I expect? I also plan to overclock my CPU, how far could I go with this RAM?

I guess he answered my question, but he still could have meant I get that RAM and have it run at 667Mhz. Not logical, but now that I re-read it, it understand what he meant.

I like G.Skill, how are they in terms of overclock performance. How high of an overclock could I expect? I also plan to overclock my CPU, how far could I go with this RAM?

really high... actually the crucial ballistix are cheaper than g-skill HZ now, and on par (or a little better sometimes) and these are like magic ram, it's an overclocking champ

Crucial matches the G-skills in overclocking and performance, but is cheaper.
b1agpl, owner of the crucial magicstixs, got his ram up to 1200MHz (i think...)

Out of curiousity, how would could I overclock these:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The reason I ask is because I'm considering 4GB for the future. Eventually DDR2 prices are going to raise because DDR3 is eventually going to lower a lot in price and the demand for DDR2 will lower. Same thing happened to DDR. I don't know if I would see a big benefit currently, but I probably would in the future. Plus this leaves even more room for expansion. But I highly doubt I would go beyond 4GB for a while. Again, not sure if I would go this path, but just seeing what my options are.

Would having 4 sticks of RAM compared to 2 make any difference for the overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom