Where to put my Paging file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP4LIFETN

Daemon Poster
I know the difference is very minute, but im at a standstill on where to put the paging file...i know its best to put it on a separate drive from the OS, so i put it on my 500gb storage seagate...but then i read that if you have a striped array, which i do with my 160gb's WD's, then it might be better to leave it on the C drive

striped array or storage drive?

on a side note, these new 3dmark06 comparison graphs are the bomb

The last option is simply disabling the creation of a paging file like many gamers do. Here I simply custom assign it to 2-2.5 times the amount of memory installed and never worry. I run 4 hard drives here and never can decide depending on which version of Windows is running. :p

Windows will run with it or without it for the most part. What the paging file does is allow Windows to use drive space for virtual memory when it runs out of physical memory to keep things going. For gaming that process becomes a drag on performance. For a work horse system running video capturing/editing, CAD, graphics/animation design. or anything else that gobbles memory up you would then find it needed there.

i know what it does... but the majority of people thinks that is is REQUIRED for many of the os processes to run, which is why i don't wanan disable it, i dont want an unstable system

I've run the system both ways here even while running video capturing and dvd burning which both place a good load on things. It's mainly the problem of reserving 2gb of drive space for VM that sees a problem not the actuall need to see a paging file created. Windows will start sounding alarms when the drive space is low.

Paging files are simply an asset when running memory hungry programs. Due to the Windows design the alarm bells sound when getting low on drive space since MS figured that would be reserved for just that. That also informs you that you do have little space left.
(that can help big time if you are capturing video to the drive since video files chew up drive space fast!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom