Question from first timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonshudo

Baseband Member
Hi I'm going to build my first computer but I have a couple of questions. When I finish building it and install Windows Vista on it, do I have to download drivers or anything for all/some of the hardware? What should be the first thing(s) I do after turning on the computer before I actually start using it normally? And do enough fans come with the rest of the hardware or do I have to buy extra fans? Thanks

When you finish building a computer, first of all is your install your OS. Then it takes you to your Windows once you're done and you start installing your motherboard drivers, VGA drivers, and other drivers that is necessary. Well the fans are only to make your computer run at a cool temperature. It also depends on your case. If you computer has enough slots for fans then why not? The only components that should have a fan should be the CPU cooler and the VGA. Maybe the HDD if you buy a separate fan for it.

o and I forgot to ask: do I need to use thermal paste? And do I have to do anything special with the wires in the case or can I just let them hang wherever they are? Thanks for the quick response

Yes you need thermal paste. I would recommend you to get Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-1 thermal paste. Those are the 2 best thermal pastes on the market at the moment. Well, if you look at the "Wire Management" thread under my sig, you would see that myself and other techies on Tech-Forum did a few Wire Management jobs. The Wire Management is for the fans to get a decent airflow to cool down your components. Letting it hang is ok, but doing a wire management would let the fan and components breathe a bit more.

Ok i watched that video on how to apply thermal paste, but seeing as though I am very uneducated on the subject I didn't really understand it. I want to know where I need to apply thermal paste, when, how, and how much. Thanks

cpu, before you install the heatsink and fan, take the top off the thermal paste, add a rice grain size on the cpu. When placing the heatsink fan on the cpu it will spread out. Don't spread the thermal paste out let the heatsink and fan do it.

So I guess it really doesn't matter what kind of CPU you have, you always put on a small grain size amount of thermal grease on there? Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad or even a Pentium 3?

ya it don't matter what cpu you might have u always apply the same amount. The reason for the small amount is cause if you have to much on there u will increase the temps of the cpu, However the reason your applying it on there is so it will fill in the spaces between the cpu and the hsf so that it transfers heat much better. so the type of cpu it don't matter.

That's good to know. I'm so use to buying retail CPUs and they always come with the thermal pads on the bottom of them already installed which is a bit different from the thermal grease.

Ok so you only need to use thermal paste on one part of the whole computer? That was a lot easier than I thought. THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom