Faster processor make a game load faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
How would a Faster processor make a game load faster? Doesn't all the data just need to be loaded from the hard drive into RAM and then processed once the level starts up? The only way I could think that the processor would need to process anytime of the loading is if it needs to uncompress data so it can be used.

it would not increase a lot, a hard drive upgrade will help a lot more. I'm not talking about a bigger hard drive, but a fasrter one, look into the Western Digital Raptor, the fastest hdds available to us. A processor upgrade will only help if you are using a pentium 2 and a modern (7200rpm) hard drive, then it would help a little, however upgrading to a raptor would help more then also. More ram also helps, but again thats more during game play.

fastest hard drives are scsi sorry to say. 15000 rpm. more ram would be generally a better idea before a hard drive. the more stuff that can be processed on the memory the better. because the hard drive is a lot slower

Actually... On the contrary... The Raptors beat SCSI in many different tests!

mrzeeedler said:
fastest hard drives are scsi sorry to say. 15000 rpm. more ram would be generally a better idea before a hard drive. the more stuff that can be processed on the memory the better. because the hard drive is a lot slower

Not just a higher capacity RAM, but faster as well...

A, please note I said "to us". Also ram doesnt help much when loading, trust me I've seen the before and after results when I upgraded to a raptor. Also agex000 is correct, the raptor does beat scsi drives in a lot of tests. Check the reviews if you dont trust me.

seagate cheetah 2.6ms seek time
wd raptor 4.5ms seek time

i could not find any benchmarks i want to know which is better because when i do video editing computer its one ot the other

How about the various static forms of ram? Surely they'd be faster than any hard disk?
Not that they'd be much good though seeing they don't have a lot of storage space relative to hard disks..

The amount of RAM and the type of RAM should be yoru primary concern if you want to improve the loading time of your applications/games. HDD is secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom