New Build 1900$~

Status
Not open for further replies.
400 dollars on hard drives? not worth it, get 2x 750 WD's

Actually with the rebate, the Raptors are only $165 each and the WD 750's are $200 each. It is hard to ignore the value of having an extra 1.2 TB for $70, especially if you plan to put video and audio on your computer. I am sure the Raptors, especially in a RAID 0 configuration would be noticable faster if you were doing very intensive operations like video editing, but I am being convinced that it won't make much if any difference if you are gaming. Anyway, the extra space is probably more valuable to most people.

By the way, I like your setup.

welcometotf3dj1.jpg

A lot of unnecessary spending, going on here.

Get the WD 750GB hard drives instead. They're as fast as the Raptors, and they cost around the same price.

Get Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800. You can't beat it's price, for the amount of performance, it gives.

You don't need a sound card. Onboard is good enough. You just need good speakers.

Get either the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, or the ASUS P5K Deluxe, as they are well suited for the Q6600.

64-bit OS, is not needed. So ditch the 4GB of RAM, as that is not needed as well, unless you're into CAD or any software, of that type.

The Tuniq is great for the Q6600.

agreed with everyone...

Newegg.com - Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Black Speakers - Retail

these are nice speakers for the price :)

I'm now going to get the asus p5k, balistix ram, 2x wd 750gb, and tuniq tower. I decided i'm just going to stick with XP since vista is still really buggy and I decided dx10 isn't really worth all the trouble. I already got speakers btw. Is there any other small stuff like cables or thermal compound I should get as well?

This is going to be the first computer I'm going to build by myself so all help is appreciated. My current computer is becoming very outdated so it's time to build a new one. I have about a $2000 budget. Alot of the stuff I listed off here i based on customer reviews and I put it together kind of fast but I'm pretty sure it's correct. So far here is what I have put together.. :cool:
Case
Thermaltake Armor Series Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Motherboard
Intel LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
Videocard
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
PSU
CORSAIR ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W
Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
Ram
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model X2
Harddrive
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive X2
Keyboard
Logitech G11 Silver & Black USB Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse
DVD-R
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model - OEM

Total - $1,908.88

I am not sure what OS to get. I want to get vista but i'm not sure if i should. If you do recommend vista should I put it in 64bit or 32bit? Also, I'm not sure which fan to get for the processor. The reason I got the cheaper GTS because I'm just going to upgrade once the 9 series comes out. Is it worth putting those raptors in raid? Should I get a sound card?
Thanks alot :D

LOL your build is really amusing because it is VERY similar to my build, except for the fact you got some expensive mobo I dont know about and an unnecessary 2nd WD Raptor ( unless you want to RAID 0 em for a ridiculous unecessary amount of performance ). I disagree with B1gapl, although the WD 750 gig is a good choice, its not as fast as a raptor...close...but then again so is the seagate 80 gig 7200.10 everyones raving about. I got one of those for storage of my media/music and just 1 WD 150 gig at 165 after MIR for games/OS.

I'm also having the same problems deciding what OS to use, right now Im using xp but when I eventually go to vista for dx10 the 64 bit performs better in some applications but has less compatability. If your going to dish out around 2k for a system like me, GET a sound card. The best deal is the Xi-Fi Xtreme gamer for 50 bucks after MIR at circuit city ( think this amazing deal ended now its like 80 ). The Xtreme music series has severely lacking capability in comparison to the Xtreme gamer and I heard their just rebadged Audigy 2s or something. No mobo sound can ever compare to a sound card, trust me I've heard both and there is a HUGE differance, especially for games/music.

Also uh what HSF are u going to use?

its up to u, xp is better right now but i think sp1 is coming out end of this yr so that should make vista better

Why oh why does it take them so long to come out with the service packs...sometimes I dont even think their working on it...I mean how many people does microsoft have working on this thing?

I'm now going to get the asus p5k, balistix ram, 2x wd 750gb, and tuniq tower. I decided i'm just going to stick with XP since vista is still really buggy and I decided dx10 isn't really worth all the trouble. I already got speakers btw. Is there any other small stuff like cables or thermal compound I should get as well?

keep in mind huge profile high performance games like Crysis are only dx10 :( kinda sucks you'll have such a powerful system like me and be unable to play one of the biggest milestone graphical games ever...I mean Crysis even has its own physics engine! no longer uses Havok physics like thousands of other games out there :p

Aren't most dx10 games going to be able to use dx9 to play them?

99% of the new gen games will obviously be able to played with dx9 but will have dx10 capability ( for added eye candy ). Crysis however is an evil marketing ploy with microsoft and can only run on dx10...but I mean...just look at demos of that game. It TRULY is the next mile stone in graphical technology...the last mile stone was Doom 3 ( which came out before HL2 ), and the one before that Quake 3 Arena.

Why Crysis is the next milestone in graphical technology:
YouTube - New Crysis Tech Demo

Dude just look at that breakable vegitation! the future is NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom