selling and trading

Status
Not open for further replies.

SewerBeing

In Runtime
I suggest there be a requirement of a 100 posts or something (non spamming) to get into the section of buy and selling. Other forums I am a member of have done this and the number of scams has gone down to almost nothing. It is just way too easy for a scammer to make an account and scam some people.

its not my idea, its used in my favorite forum (www.ocforums.com) and their scam rate is 0, scammers dont want to stick around and make a 100 quality posts. So yeah, it makes perfect sense.

my issue with that, no offense to you or any mod here, If I offer to sell my graphic card, the person sends me the money and I never send the card. How was anyone supposed to know it was a scam???

Unless I'm missing something, raising the post count requirement will not help know who are scammers.

I don't know if legally a list could be made of previous scammers.

Dave :D

You are at 105 posts (quality posts i am sure :) ) and like you said, you could have very well not shiped that video card if you have sold it.

What I am getting at is raising it wont eradicate scammers...i may very well deter some of them, I am by no means calling you a scammer either!

It is a topic that is being discussed by both MODS and Admins.

hmm...i wonder if there are laws against black listing names...

there isnt a law against it as far as I know. My suggestion is completely hide the selling and trading section until one has 100 posts, or an admin lets you. If you can see and browse it, you can just pm the person selling it, and scam them.

SewerBeing said:
My suggestion is completely hide the selling and trading section until one has 100 posts, or an admin lets you.
Hmm, not the original suggestion, but I think that's a better suggestion. I think we've discussed that once and the biggest thing was that it was keeping buyers out of there, too. But, IMHO, that would be okay until they had a certain amount of posts.

Dave :D

so a little paranoia goes a long way in protecting everyone. I'm not suggesting getting rid of them, just protect them. Just look at www.ocforums.com, thats where I am taking this idea from, their scam rate is 0. Because of the tough restrictions on the classifieds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom