Ummmm why is my Corsair PSU squealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashogun

(>-_-)>
It's been a while now. Probably a month. I thought it was normal but whenver my 8800GTX goes under video load such as a benchmark or a game such as FEAR or Oblivion, the PSU makes this high pitched screeching noise.

I have a link to an audio recording to make my horrible description more understandable: Putfile - PSU Squeal

It's not the 8800GTX as I opened the case and put my ear besides every hardware. It's definitely the PSU. I also thought that the Corsair 520HX was a reliable, quiet, good power supply. It should be able to power a 8800GTX and a duo core with a hard drive/CD Drive. But then again I may be wrong.

I don't want anything to explode. Anybody have any suggestions?

It's been a while now. Probably a month. I thought it was normal but whenver my 8800GTX goes under video load such as a benchmark or a game such as FEAR or Oblivion, the PSU makes this high pitched screeching noise.

I have a link to an audio recording to make my horrible description more understandable: Putfile - PSU Squeal

It's not the 8800GTX as I opened the case and put my ear besides every hardware. It's definitely the PSU. I also thought that the Corsair 520HX was a reliable, quiet, good power supply. It should be able to power a 8800GTX and a duo core with a hard drive/CD Drive. But then again I may be wrong.

I don't want anything to explode. Anybody have any suggestions?

Prob just a loose fan ball bearing or something of that sort, I don't think the squealing in anyway has to do with the PSU being under too much of a heavy load or anything as electricity is relatively quiet :p

I took a pen and made the fan stop inside the PSU. (I'm assuming it's only that big large fan?) but it still makes the noise. I'm thinking it's something in the circuitry.

I took a pen and made the fan stop inside the PSU. (I'm assuming it's only that big large fan?) but it still makes the noise. I'm thinking it's something in the circuitry.

maybe theres some kind of feral animal thats suffering inside the PSU?

gremlins! id send it back pronto if it is only a month old. dont even wonder if it is going to screw something up. the possibility is definitely there. send it back. as far as corsair psu's go, they are reliable, but there has to be a percentage of lemons with every manufacturer. take my gskill HZ's (please! lol), which are technically no longer mine because i put them in to my moms new box. and blew the dust off my xms2 for me.

That PSU has a 5 year warranty and is one of the best you can get, I'd get in touch with Corsair.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom