I'm about to do my first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalmn

Baseband Member
Here's what I plan on putting in my first build. Please review it and tell me anything that I may need to know before I go about doing this build or link me to a tutorial that shows you how to assemble it in the correct order and that kind of thing.

Also, I'm sure that once I get everything put together, it's not going to be as simple as turning on the computer, installing XP, dowloading drivers and playing. Right?

APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 350W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Retail

BIOSTAR NF4UAM2G Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

XFX PVT84JUDF3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX - Retail

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Note: I already have a DVD burner that I'm going to put in here.

Also, I'm aware that the 7900gs is a lot better than the 8600gt, but this computer is mainly for playing WoW and I don't think I would find an appreciable difference between the two.

Nice choice on the RAM.

Power supply looks ok, but I'd suggest this power supply instead:
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Retail
...It's got more amps than the Thermaltake. Wattage does not determine how powerful a power supply is. It's the amps. In this case, the FSP has 34A, while the Thermaltake only has 18A.

For the graphic card, you're better off with the 7900GS, if you're just playing WoW. Reason being, the 8600GT might support DX10, but it's not worth playing games with, if you're looking to do DX10 gaming.

Nice choice on the RAM.

Power supply looks ok, but I'd suggest this power supply instead:
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Retail
...It's got more amps than the Thermaltake. Wattage does not determine how powerful a power supply is. It's the amps. In this case, the FSP has 34A, while the Thermaltake only has 18A.

For the graphic card, you're better off with the 7900GS, if you're just playing WoW. Reason being, the 8600GT might support DX10, but it's not worth playing games with, if you're looking to do DX10 gaming.
I didn't plan on using the 8600GT for DX10 games. Do you think that the 7900GS will make a big difference compared to the 8600GT when playing WoW? WoW graphics are not very demanding.

Edit: Also, are there any other little things that I'm missing for the build or is all the hardware and stuff like that included?

You'd see a pretty good difference between the two graphic cards. Plus the 7900GS, will enable you to play other, more demanding games. But it's your choice.

As long as you have a Windows CD & key, you should be set.

The way I see it is:
Install components together.
Install Windows.
Install motherboard drivers.
Update Windows.
...and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom