More Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse7

In Runtime
Heya, looking to get some more ram, currently have 1gig. Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail is that im looking at specifically, although just a few questions, can you mix and match ram? ie keep my old ram in the PC in addition to the new ram for a total of 3gigs? also open to suggestion for different sticks in the same price range if you think they are better. Will i notice a big difference between 1 and 3(or 2?) gigs of ram? thanks

actually have 4 slots, 2 open. So you say theres no noticable difference in 2 and 3 gigs of ram? so id be better off with 2 gigs of higher quality vs. 3gigs of a lower quality then?

Edit: also, what exactly do the timings for ram mean, what would be a "good" timing and a "bad" timing? the higher the voltage the better? (sorry for playing million questions im a big noob to pcs :p)

Alright cool :) but what exactly do the timings for ram mean? what would be a "good" timing and a "bad" timing? and the higher the voltage the better?

The timings are how long it takes for the memory to relay information. So the smaller or tighter the timings, the faster it can relay the information, without much delay. Higher voltage is not better. It will increase temperatures, and if you're not careful, it will damage or reduce the lifespan of the memory.

theres a difference in 2gb vs 3gb if you dont run a pagefile. a noticible difference.
i'll have another gig of xms2 c4 here on monday, but its 2x512 so i can keep my dual channel a runnin'.

p.s. b1g whats in that box? lol something to do with computers i bet....

lol....It's a picture of the first thing I did, when my Q6600 G0 arrived, after waiting so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom