black screen of death. replaced EVERY part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crh0872

Baseband Member
i built this system about 2 years ago and it ran great...until i upgraded the case (bad idea). i took everything out and put it in the new case, and i got a "system failed CPU test" over and over, and eventually after different combinations of hardware, i get just a "no signal" on the monitor, but everything powers up fine.

stats ::
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - replaced 3 times
Intel P4 Prescott 3.0 GHz - replaced 2 times
500 Watt coolmax PSU - replaced once with a 400 watt off-brand
RAM - tried 3 different sticks in every possible combination
Video card - tried 3 different video cards
Case - yes, i even replaced the case 2 times and tried it outside of the case

seeing as everything is ruled out, this makes no sense at all. I dont know why i am even posting this since there seems to be no answer. Asus either puts me on hold for an hour or tells me to send it back in, only to give me another working motherboard which fails with all of the other working, compatible parts.

the only thing i can think of is that it's the BIOS, but I can't flash it when it's doing this...or can i?

What caused you to get a BSOD is not because of having a bad computer, it's because something went wrong before you put your parts back together. Installations, programs, etc. could be the cause of your BSOD. HDD's and RAM is a usual cause of a BSOD. A corrupted HDD can be the problem of a BSOD because of something was installed inproperly. Bad RAM can be that your computer can't find it's physical memory. Like I said, it wasn't that your computer was messed up. When you reassembled it, and turned it on, something must have gone wrong.

I say you have a short. Have you tried taking the mb out of the case and hooking everything up and turning the system on?

Edit: Oops, I see you already tried that. Nevermind

I had similar problems with my last Asus board (a8n sli deluxe something or other) and swapped it out twice until I just got sick of it and moved to a new system. I'd suggest trying a new motherboard (different brand!) all together and see how that goes.

I've pretty much come to hate Asus mobos because of issues like this. They've been pretty common over the last two years with most Asus boards I've dealt with. That's from friends, my room mate, and even a couple of his friends. I'm not saying that all Asus boards are crap, plenty of ppl seem to love them. I've just never had a good experience with them. They always seem to turn out just like yours in the end.

phucng-
the issue is that it isn't getting by POST. any computer can successfully POST without a hard drive, floppy drive, or cd drive. the problem is not that it's posting and freezing when trying to boot an OS, it's not trying to boot anything in the first place. it just locks up. if it were the hard drive, i'd be able to see something before the screen went black.

jorsoft-
i was thinking that too. i think i'll buy a new motherboard, although they don't make socket 478s anymore, i'll have to get it used. i have had all kinds of problems with it before this, smaller, fixable ones. i dont think Asus is for me. i'll probably sell it...heck, Asus tested it themselves it must work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom