sata question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transerver

In Runtime
can I use SATA for my HDDs and IDE for my opticals? Just making sure

And is it true that there's no such thing as master or slave when using SATA, just plug in and go? I've never used SATA before :/

Thanks

Yes you can. Well I haven't heard about if S-ATA can run either Master or Slave because I haven't done it yet. S-ATA is much easier then IDE and simpler with the smaller wires. :happy:

hmm no i dont think ATA has that sort of slave/master config. although mine has a jumper on the back, and i dont know whats that for because i got my HD OEM. and no, it isnt as simple as plug and play. you have to install the raid drivers too. i spent 3 hours thinking that was whats wrong until i figured it needed a partition lol.

Raid drivers are need for....well a raid. they are not need for Sata because that will be....well Sata drivers.

Raid drivers are only needed if you want to combine your 2+ sata drives into 1 drive. which you dont need to for it to work so therefore you dont need those drivers.

Sata has no master and slave jumpers, it has master and slave based on which slot you plug it into on the motherboard.

IDE has MAster SLave settings, SATA does not, unless you want a RAID. If you only want to use one or two hard drives, and have your computer recognize them as one or two hard drives, then no RAID drivers are needed and the SATA is plug and play for you! I just built a computer, and have a SATA hard drive. It works amazing, and no drivers were needed to use it! Hooray! and SATA also has a much faster speed than ATA. IDE (or ATA) only has a top transfer speed of about 133 MB/s, where as SATA can have anywhere from 300MB/s and onward. And Yes, you can have an Optical drive on IDE and an HDD on SATA, that is my current configuration! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom