Changing IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmidt1989

Baseband Member
Is there a way I can change my IP address? I have cable internet, and windows vista home premium if that helps.

Nope. IP Addresses are assigned by you ISP. You have to call and contact them to get a new one.

You can unless you have static, besides if you don't have static then your provider changes it at times. If not on static the easiest way to obtain a new IP is to disconnect and connect couple of minutes later. Otherwise you could do it from cmd (don't remember if that's the exact one).
Type :
ipconfig/release
ipconfig renew

I don't think you can renew your ip with ipconfig because the isp gives the ip to the modem and the modem gives the same ip to the windows by dhcp. If you use ipconfig the modem will give you the same ip because the isp hasn't changed the ip.
The only way you can renew your ip is to disconnect the modem for a few minutes, like Makaveli213 said, so the isp release the ip you were using and when you connect the modem most likely you will get a different ip.

ipconfig relesae and renew only allows you PC to reconfigure you connection. It doesnt give you a new IP Address. Try it sometime at whois. you will see.

Proxies are alright but some of them dont always work the way you plan.

Like I posted I also disconnect my modem when I want a new IP, or I simply hide my IP with Hide my IP platinum.

Your Modem doesnt hold your IP Address either. It is assigned to the line connected to your house/apartment. It is the line that goes to the modem that has the IP Address. So you can disconnect it all you want. Wont change the fact that it will be the same no matter how many times you connect or disconnect your modem.

Your Modem doesnt hold your IP Address either. It is assigned to the line connected to your house/apartment. It is the line that goes to the modem that has the IP Address. So you can disconnect it all you want. Wont change the fact that it will be the same no matter how many times you connect or disconnect your modem.

How do they assign it to the line?

I always thought the IP was associated with the MAC address of your modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom