Upgrade my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenDover

Beta member
I have this PC. It can't handle gaming of any type. I've been browsing this forum from a while and decided to post for advice on this PC. If I decide to upgrade it, I don't want to spend too much money on it. I know what needs to be upgraded, but I would like your help to get the best "bang for my buck".

System Model: Dimension 8300
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 384MB used, 864MB available

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_01B910DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB

its ok but dell suck
all you need to do is upgrade the ram to 1gig or 2
then upgrade the GPU alot
thats old maybe get Geforce 7600GT till the 9 series then buy one of those

Dont forget a power supply, Youll need prolly a 400w at least for a 7600gt which I would strongly reccomend.

its ok but dell suck
all you need to do is upgrade the ram to 1gig or 2
then upgrade the GPU alot
thats old maybe get Geforce 7600GT till the 9 series then buy one of those

yes wait for the nine series. what a clever idea. lets advice him to spend the maximum amount of money.

seriously i hate to sound arsey but this sort of comment really makes my blood boil. why the **** would he NEED a 9 series? there are no games in existence which require a minimum of the 9 series.

and why would a dell suck? none of the components are made by them except for the case, and you choose all the components yourself.

but the 9 series would keep you going for a good 5+ years
and the 7 series will probably ladt 2 more years for newer games

Dont forget a power supply, Youll need prolly a 400w at least for a 7600gt which I would strongly reccomend.

If he plans on upgrading any more then he will need another psu, id recommend buying at least 550-600w that way if you upgrade gpu's again you wont need to fork out for another psu

but the 9 series would keep you going for a good 5+ years
and the 7 series will probably ladt 2 more years for newer games

its better to just buy older cards. the 8800GTX is something like $400 now but in 3 years itll be worth $100 or less i guarentee. its cheaper to just buy a card around the standard, and buy another one in 2 years so your just staying on top of the market and keeping up with games.

my advice: dont buy what you dont need.

Lets say you want to play BF2 with out lag and Medium/high settings.
7600 Graphics
3600 AMD Processor
2 gigs of ram.
as for the rest I dont really have any recommendations.
You could always spend $800 at dell for a decent computer but making your own is always WAY more bang for the buck, I learned the hardway.

I say your better off just saving money and building your own computer a little ways down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom