this many processes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Mr Beans Sidekick
Well my all im doing on my PC is running utorrent, msn and nod32 and my task manager has about 49 processes on it. Is this right? And was just wondering why it repeats some of them many times. I'm not really having any problems with my PC i was just curious.

process.jpg

Svchost.exe and other system and network processes have to run to ensure that windows and network run right and of course some of them are win progs or part of the OS like dwm.exe (Desktop windows manager) etc.

lol svchost...

There's no reason it should be running THAT many copies of it... there should be one system, one local, one network, and one per each user, max... Windows sometimes goes bonkers and ends up running duplicates... no real explanation, and no real fix either... killing them could cause your system to hang. Do some of them go away when you reboot?

those "Search*.exe" processes look suspicious... if you don't know what they are and trust them, I'd recommend looking into it and maybe having them removed.

You can also probably nix iTunesHelper (from the program's settings) unless you need it for syncing an iPod or something... those Apple QT/iT processes are usually unnecessary and annoying.

There are some others on there that I don't recognize, but don't look particularly menacing. If you could run HijackThis and post a logfile it might help some of the people here figure it out.

EDIT: I see you're running Vista... that could explain the svchost thing, as I'm unfamiliar with that system, but at the same time it raises the question of why Micro$oft didn't fix this in their latest OS....

49 processes on vista isnt bad at all, even a fresh install has over 40 processes i think! but yeah you could probably knock a few off that list after some research if you wanted

49-50 processes isnt that bad. That is about average for Vista. I had almsot 80 running earlier after installing all my Adobe stuff. I had to kill of many of the Adobe apps and processes. I am back down to just over 50 with all my apps running right now.

Including browser, outlook, anydvd, dvdshrink, WLM, Trillian, Razer, Intellitype, Lexmark printer, RivaTuner, iReboot, UltraMon, Eset, Sidebar among many others. So you see you can get many processes. What you have is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom