peltier device

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry i forgot to give the ebay link (thus defeating half my objective lol) HERE IT IS

i asked the guy how to connect it up, here's what he said (below a bit). i don't think he's using much imagination, i'm sure you can just connet it to the equivalent of a fan speed controller or something that alters the voltage. and i wouldn't be in a hurry to connect it to my cpu, exactly for the condensation issues mentioned but secondly because the air in my case is going to be scorching! sort of.

Hi Nick,

You would need to attach a molex connector to get hooked up to a PC supply, as far as contolling the voltage and hence the cooling/pumping power I suggest you use a bench power supply.

Cheers

Dom

no my thoughts were to have a watercooled setup and keep the reservoir outside of the case, and have these stuck to the sides of it with heatsinks on their other side. [use fans?] this would chill the water. given time i could figure out how to set up a thermometer in the tank and set the peltiers to switch off for a minute when the water reaches say 10c. i haven't given this much thought. but i don't want any ice!

here's the basic spec of one on ebay. i think this is a darn powerful one though! LINK

At 50°C it consumes 30.5 amps @ 17.8v giving a consumption of 542.9W (0.543Kw). At 25°C it consumes 30.5 amps @ 15.6v = 475.8w (0.476kw). It's pumping power or Qcmax is impressive @ 50°C being rated at a very respectable 282w, equally as impressive @ 25°C it's Qcmax is 257w.
This TEC has 127 couples and a resistance of 0.31 ohm @ 50°C and 0.27 ohm @ 25°C. It's ΔT N2 @ 50°C is a very healthy 79°C and 68°C @ 25°C. And Finally it's voltage range is 0 - 15v @ 25°C and 0 - 17.8v @ 25°C, and it's leads are AWG 16 Teflon and approx. 6 inches (15cm) in length.
right, so that's **** cold. anyone tell my in lamens terms?

here is a less powerful one. LINK

At 25°C it consumes 8.5 amps @ 5.9v = 50.15w. It's pumping power or Qcmax is 27.4w@ 25°C.
This TEC has 49 couples and a resistance of 0.52 ohm @ 25°C. It's ΔT N2 is 68°C @ 25°C. And Finally it's voltage range is 0 - 5.9v @ 25°C and it's leads are Teflon and approx. 6 inches (15cm) in length.

again, how cold is that please?

right, so these things are basically pretty power hungry. some VERY. but they're cheap as chips, so perhaps they're economical for a half-hour blast once an evening when i want my video card settings AWESOME high. a bit like an electric bar-fire on a winter morning. luxury. :laughing:

so yeah, the condensation thing, going to have to get my head around that. i think if i get hold of an uber geek to fashion me a snazzy temperature controled power supply unit for these babies then they'd turn off, or turn down before a critical low temperature was reached for condesation. where i'd put these thermometers remains unclear. BUT!!! the water can only flow at above freezing, and the processor will surely keep the mobo wartm using water cooling method. i might be fine if my reservoir is outside my tank. but... maybe water will condense on the pipework and drip everywhere :eek:

the main condensation fear is for using the peltiers INSIDE the case with a heatsink. don't think i'll bother doing that.

sorry... i'm thinking out loud.

i know someone in the refrigeration industry, think i'll run this one past him... but i defo want to hear what you lot think!

No matter where you use the peltier devices the fact is is that you are now chilling and not cooling. That chilled water that goes back into the case will be at sub ambient temperatures and thus cause condensation. The only way to get around it is to be sure the water going into the case is room temp, but then why bother with a peltier?

Toms hardware is probably the most famous case, you can read all about their adventures here
and heres another good one

thanks, that's got some good info on sealing stuff up i might use!

i'm thinking of a way to stop anything other than the water pipe (inflow) being cold. i would try not to get the cpu temp to be below say 25c. that way nothing on the board actually gets subambient yet i can OC to the max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom