I can't add 4gb file into 300gb hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashogun

(>-_-)>
I have an external hard drive with 345GB left over. I have another one with 80GB left over.

I have a 4GB file I would like to backup but when I copy/paste it into the 345GB HDD, it says:

Cannot copy xxx: There is not enough free space.

Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again.

Now I did the same process to the 80GB hard drive and it still displays the same message. I don't believe there is a drive space problem as I have more than enough drive space left. Is it a rule that I can't transfer a 4GB file. That would be weird :confused:

im going to take an educated guess and say its something to do with the windows swap file. i Think the swapfile is where something needs to be copied too before it gets copied somewhere else. try freeing up more space on your 80GB if u have less than 4GB

What filesystem is it using? I know there's a limit on some.
Not sure what filesystem I'm using but I'm using Windows XP SP2's copy/paste

try freeing up more space on your 80GB if u have less than 4GB
The hard drives have 80GB left. And my other one has well over 300GB left. So It's not a space issue. I was able to transfer a 750MB video fine.

If the hardrive is FAT32 it needs to be converted to NTFS. I believe there is a command line prompt for this, /convert C: or :D would be my guess. If you really need it done right away then rar (or zip) the file into one or more smaller pieces.

Converting to NTFS Using Convert.exe
A partition can also be converted after Setup by using Convert.exe. For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command window, type help convert, and then press ENTER.

It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom