Will my system be cool enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

In Runtime
I posted this in the hardware section of the forums aswell as it related to my first build computer, but I felt I would get a better response if I posted it here.

Here is the final list for my components, which I will be ordering in approximately two weeks time. Please no comments about INTEL and AMD; I have made my decision and am going with INTEL. I am having concerns that my machine may not be cool enough though. The case I am thinking of getting has one intake fan, 80mm and one exhaust fan, 80mm. Both of the fans will be Zalman. My CPU cooler and heatsink is also manufactured by Zalman. I have heard that the Coolermaster Centurion does not have very good air flow, due to it's compact size inside?

Will my system be cool enough? My system specs will be as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 "Northwood" 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology

Abit IC7-G MAX2 Advance "Canterwood" (Socket 478) Motherboard

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB SATA 8MB Cache

Connect3D ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI

Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W PSU

Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler - 92mm fan

2 x Zalman ZMF1 80mm Silent Case fan - 3 pin

Sony CRX320E 52x32x52x16 CDRW/DVD Combi Drive (Silver)

OcUK Value Floppy Drive - Silver

Creative Desktop 6000

CoolerMaster Centurion - Case

Would I need a fan for my graphics card aswell?

Thanks,

Retro.

it's a nice config, but you might wanna through in an extra exhaust fan, and since it's only about 15 bucks, it shouldn't be a problem. and remember, depending on how many chafan imputs your mobo has, you might want to consider a fan w/ built in controler, cuz if you don't control them they just run at maximum and they're noisy as all hell. and you graphics card already has a fan, and i doubt it needs a extra. dont' worry about that unless you want to overclock it.

Thing is my case only has space for one exhaust fan. I don't really want to have to carry out any major case modification because I don't have the tools, however my local PC shop may be able to help me there.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Retro.

I've decided to go for a bigger case, the Coolermaster Praetorian. I have heard this has better air flow but at an extra cost. This case comes with fans though so I can save money on not buying the fans separately.

I just read that my CPU comes equipped with a heatsink and fan. Should I trust this heatsink and fan to be good enough or should I buy one separately? Also will a PCI slot fan make much difference just out of interest?

Thanks for the replies so far,

Retro

i have a pci slot fan, and when i place it directly under the graphics card it reduces my case temps by 3 degrees C. It doesn't flow much ~1/2 as much as an 80mm fan but its also nearly silent.

I agree, get a fan controller so your fans don't run full blast

if you run them at like 80% you get like 90% of the flow and about 60% of the noise:D It's nice to lose 10dBa's but only lose 3CFM's.

i got a praetorian, its great, it has 4 fans overall, and it has reduced my system temp from 30c to 26/27c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom