Display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MementoMori

Beta member
Hello all. Recently, my problem had been giving me a problem where, after quite a few crashes, instead of booting up properly it would show patterns of colored lines across the screen. Granted, the computer had been dormant almost 2 years. So, we took it to a trusted tech guy and he said that all of the dust had disrupted the connection between the video card and the motherboard. He cleaned it out, and all was good for a while.

A few days later, I heard some really bad grinding noises in my computer and after a few minutes, they died off. Naturally, I assumed it was a fan on the computer. "I'll fix it some other time", I told myself. Bad Idea. Turns out it had been the fan cooling the video card, which, after seeing the "Your system is overheating and is being slowed" message displayed by Windows, promptly gave out. So, we bought the same exact video card online (GeForce 5800 FX I beleive, not the best, but it works ;). Problem solved, right?

Not really. My computer is displaying the same lines again, and I have been looking all the Video Card slot on the mother board, trying to figure out if something is in it all this morning. Any input you guys can offer? My Dad will be helping me install a new Video Card later today if I can't fix it by lunch. Sorry for such a long post!

Thanks

That sounds like what happened to my 9500 pro, the fan went out and the card started overheating. When it did the display would whig out big time. First things first though, we need more information on what your old card was, and if possible what your motherboard is, so we can tell you if it has pci-e or agp.

Well, both cards, the one that died and the one that we replaced it with were GeForce 5800FX's I think. As for my mother board, not being able to look at my system settings sucks =( I'll have to do it from looking, unless you know an easier way to figure out what it is? All I can tell from looking is it is made by ASUS and I have an Intel chipset, I think. I think it's getting juice from the power because there is a little green LED lit up. =-/ I'm not the best with Hardware.

welcometotf3dj1.jpg

Try reinstalling the drivers. Also, get the latest ones.

To find out your motherboard model, easily....download a program called CPU-Z, open it, and go to the mainboard tab. And report back.

Good luck!

welcometotf3dj1.jpg

Try reinstalling the drivers. Also, get the latest ones.

To find out your motherboard model, easily....download a program called CPU-Z, open it, and go to the mainboard tab. And report back.

Good luck!

Well, I would try this, but (I forgot to mention in first post) when I try and boot up windows, all that displays is patterns of lines across the screen. It goes: PATTERN-->blank-->PATTERN-->blank, etc, until the computer reboots itself. I'll update first post.

Thanks

Sorry for the double post, but I have the modle number of my Mobo : P4C800-E. Written in white letters across the middle of the board. Any more input welcome!

Thanks

your motherboard is a skt 478 , try clearing the BIOS , and why wont you get a different card instead of the same one?

How do I clear the Bios if I can't get to the screen? The pattern of colored lines are still there, and I have no way of getting into Windows. Later today, though, I will be getting a better video card, hopefully something that won't fail =( I am really scared that it might be my Mobo, is there any surefire way to test if it is if I can't get Windows to boot?

If your motherboard has integrated video, remove the video card, plug the monitor up to the onboard video and boot up. This will at least let you know if its the video card or monitor causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom