removing paste from cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie-Kane

Baseband Member
can i just use a high alcohol content drink like vodka? or do i have to buy a proper cleaning product?

I would follow advice from Arctic Silver. Use Isopropyl alcohol, which is also called rubbing alcohol, with a lintless cloth and gently rub away the thermal paste. Chances are, there may be other stuff present in alcohol beverages and I don't think you would want to inhibit the heat conductivity potential of the thermal paste.

Drinking alcohol doesn't have a high enough alcohol content.

Buy some 90%+ isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Then get a few coffee filters, get rubbing alcohol on the coffee filters, then scrub the surface of the CPU and/or heatsink until clean. Repeat 1 - 2 times, and then don't touch it with your fingers.

I found using rubbing alcohol and a q-tip being the best. I did that plenty of times with cpu's and no problems.

Drinking alcohol doesn't have a high enough alcohol content.

Buy some 90%+ isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Then get a few coffee filters, get rubbing alcohol on the coffee filters, then scrub the surface of the CPU and/or heatsink until clean. Repeat 1 - 2 times, and then don't touch it with your fingers.

It does if you buy some everclear :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom