OEM Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erratic

Solid State Member
I will be building a computer in the near future and was curious if i should try an OEM version of Windows XP?

The thing im worried about is, what if i need to reformat for some reason? Will I be able to do so without having to purchase another OS?
I also want to double check to ensure that im not buying some sort of upgrade for an older version of windows :D
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM
Thats what i plan on buying.

OEM operating systems are meant to be used only on one PC. So if you buy a new one or make significant upgrades you're supposed to be SOL. SOme people have had better luck with this than others, though.

I've never used an oem version personally, myself. The one legit copy of xp I have is on my main. It's a copy of xp pro I bought 3 or 4 years ago and I've activated it like 6 times with no issues.

I still like my corporate edition of xp pro that i never even have to activate when i reinstall :p For what its worth, if you actually plan on paying M$ for windows you'd be better served paying the extra for a full retail version instead of oem.

I got an OEM, and I have installed it on two different computers, and activated both of them. But, only one is online.

As stated OEM can be used on only 1 mcahine. If you do not make any mother board chagnes in the near future you will be able to activate this as much as you want upon a re-install of the OS.

Other than that be careful with what OEM version you buy. Some OEM companies rig the disk to be for a specific computer or company. Like dell. If it is a dell disk it might not have the required drivers for all your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom