Questions about the 680i mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I'm putting together a parts list for a new computer that I plan to buy soon and I was considering the 680i motherboard, but a couple of things I read on Newegg worried me. For example, one reviewer said that he had to manually set up the LAN ports. Is that true for all 680i's? Is it hard to do?

Also with its 3 PCIe ports, is there any particular one that you're supposed to put the graphics card in if you're not going to be doing SLi? Thanks.

Don't consider the 680i motherboard, when there are newer chipsets, such as the P35. The P35 supports a native 1333FSB, and the upcoming 45nm processors. Where as the 680i, you would have to update the BIOS in order to get the support. The P35 chipset is cheaper as well.

To answer your question about the PCIe slots. If a motherboard has multiple PCIe slots, you put the graphic card, in the top most slot, closest to the northbridge chipset, or the CPU.

question

do you plan to run SLI or not?

if not then get a P35 board, if so then get a 680i. i recommend EVGA they offer a lifetime warranty and top notch customer service.

Get a Gigabyte P35 DS3R board. If a board has multiple PCI-E slots, I'd choose the slot that is closer to the northbridge because I'm weird and I like to shave off those milliseconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom