The P-35 DS3R New system build thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 gb is all you need for gaming atm, but if you really want 4 gb
2 x 2 ddr2 800 is the way to go, so you still have a couple open slots just in case

Do most of you get ram with or without heat spreaders?

Giga-byte P-35 DS35 130.00
Giga-byte P-35 DS35p 150.00
Giga-byte P-35 DS35c 180.00

Should I get rev. 1.0 or 2.0?

Most RAM sticks come with heatspreaders. It's the value RAM that usually doesn't. Heat spreaders aren't really necessary, as they don't get that hot. But it's nice to look at, rather than a naked green PCB.

2 gb is all you need for gaming atm, but if you really want 4 gb
2 x 2 ddr2 800 is the way to go, so you still have a couple open slots just in case

I've heard a couple people espouse this same position, but it seems slightly crcular in logic to me. If you really only need 2g then why would you worry about the future expandability beyond 4g?

Going 2x2g is about $80 - $100 more expensive than 4x1g. True, you are using all your slots, so you don't have room to expand. But if 2g is sufficient now, than just going 4g is it's own future proofing.

Is there a performance lag in 4x1g relative to 2x2g? Is it really worth the extra $$ to leave two slots open so that you can go to 8g later?

I'm going with 4g so that I can run Vista without a (noticeable) gaming hit. I'm just going 4x1g. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot, but if I'm probably safe with 2g now, I figure I'm real safe with 4g - and I have an extra $100 to spend somewhere else.

Then again, I'm a total computer-building noob, so maybe somewhere will correct my logic here.

The way I see it.....See if you're satisfied with 2GB of RAM, first. If you find that it is sufficient, then theres no reason to go for more. If you're not satisfied, then go and buy another pair.

I have 2GB of RAM, and I'm completely satisfied. No lag. So I don't need to drop the money, for the 4GBs all at once. I can spend the extra elsewhere, or save it. Now if I see that I need more, with the use of memory intensive programs, then I'd go and buy another pair.

Giga-byte P-35 DS35 130.00
Giga-byte P-35 DS35p 150.00
Giga-byte P-35 DS35c 180.00

Should I get rev. 1.0 or 2.0?

finally got my g0! meaning I got all the parts I need, build should happen within the next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom