Are my HDDs failing?! Help determining, + Data recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
i was browsing my external hard drive (WD 500GB Premium) and i deleted a few things on it then pushed the power button on it. i got a pop up saying this:

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\Gateway\Documents and Settings\User\Downloads\Torrents. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

thats weird because i wasnt even browsing that folder. but after that error, trying to browse there it says the data is corrupted. i just checked event viewer and there were some others. i see a bunch of these:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

and one of this:
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume F:.

i think, and definitely hope, that i have that folder backed up. but lots of other stuff is not backed up, because that hard drive IS the back up! is it going to fail?

im about to purchase a new computer, and with it a new (possibly 2, this has got me scared) external hard drive. should i just leave this drive alone and wait so i can back it up? should i use a data recovery program? if so, what program(s) should i use?

also, right now i have the external drive turned off. the recycle bin has the full picture, but when i double click it there's nothing there. what's going on? i had this problem before the delayed write failure.

on my main hard drive, when i browse it and such i can hear it scratching, but i think that has always been there.

external: 500GB with about 150GB free space
internal: 320GB with about 80GB free space

You were deleting files in your external HDD. What specific files were you deleting? Was it just some documents, programs, and such? When you're hearing the scratching sounds on your main HDD, how long do you hear it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom