New processor & existing xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya i went from an AMD 2800 to a core2duo 6600 and new board, no reinstall. I then went from the c2d6600 to a c2q6600 and yet a different motherboard, no reinstall. I then changed from a b3 q6600 to my g0 q6600 and still no reinstall.

Its fast but the system just decided to turn itself off.

Maybe I'll just reinstall windows or try get the repair windows to come up at boot. What you think? I added another 512mb ram too so system is now single channel instead of dual.

Loaded up msdos via win98 boot floppy. After awhile the system went off again. I'm going to remove the extra ram I added and see if that sorts out the issue.

How old is your psu? Can it handle the new cpu? Its possible that the cpu is drawing just enough power to put your power supply over the limit.

How old is your psu? Can it handle the new cpu? Its possible that the cpu is drawing just enough power to put your power supply over the limit.

It came with the case I have which is a 350W PSU.

It went off again too. If I got rid of an unnecessary hard drive for now. Would that make a difference (the 40GB IDE) drive?

If no then what PSU would be better.

It's highly possible that the psu is the culprit. Most new cpus have a much higher demand for power than the older single core chips did. Also most cases come with a REALLY cheap psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom