New processor & existing xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwill040

Baseband Member
The processor in my machine is a AMD Athlon 64 3500+.

Today I should be receiving my AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+.

Can I just replace the processor without having to reinstall windows

Nope.

You should be able to do a repair install. But XP will not recognize the new CPU and will either freeze or crash.

Oh ok thanks. I thought since its possible to replace a motherboard with a different one altogether it might be possible to do this.

Uninstall processor drivers. shut down xp, switch processors and load up and have xp install the drivers automatically.

Why wouldn't XP recognize the new processor? You don't have to reinstall Windows, when changing the processor. Just drop it in. You would have to reinstall Windows, when you change the motherboard. And I'm not sure, if there is even drivers for CPUs. I would assume, no.

I've changed a processor on a motherboard, many times, and I've never had to reinstall Windows. It's only when you change the motherboard, that you need to reinstall Windows.

When you change the CPU you should get a HAL error. Which will cause you problems. XP will not recognize the CPU as the one that was registerd and activated with. Hence why i said use a repair install.

Even if you switch out mobo's using a repair install will prevent issues.

B0dge got a new opteron and it worked instantly, if B1gapl has replaced CPUs conutless amount of times without having to repair or reinstall then that may be

So I'm running XP Pro SP2 32bit

I took out the 3500+ single core and put in the 4200+ Dual core. XP recognised a hardware change and installed the new processor. All I had to do was restart the system so the changes could take affect.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom