old computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

m6qrp

In Runtime
ive got a old comp which im planing to use as a firewall. its a celeron 533 on a intel wl810e and 256mb of ram . it also has integrated graphics and no agp slot. the problem is that when i boot it up, it will give two short beeps every 10 seconds and there is no display. i cant seem to get it to work.

thx in advance

2 Short Beeps: POST Error - error code shown on screen

Unsure of what the problem could be. If you can tell me why you stopped using it in the first place. Be more descriptive.

i cant see anything on the screen. its from an old computer from my school. i got it while they were throwing out the old systems.

Oh, hrmph I see. Likely it means nothing on hard drive, they probably deleted the operating system, but since we can't see it, can I recommend trying another video card? If not, make sure the IDE cables are plugged in correctly to the hard drive, CD-ROM drive. Plugging an IDE cable in the wrong way can mean a blank screen. Also, having two video cards at the same time results in no screen.

i didnt connect any drives to the board. just the cpu, ram, psu and video. it doesnt have any agp slots. only 4 pci. and i n kinda short on money to buy a pci video card.

Oh there's the deal. No hard drive = POST error, can not find MBR.

If you do happen to install a hard drive, and a floppy drive (if not already installed), I can teach you the ways of BSD (only ones I know how to do this for) remote installation over the network.

i thought that the hdd is not required for booting and the comp will start without any drives. i think the hdd is only required to boot onto a os.

Yeah it'll start, but where does it have to go? It gets to POST, looks for an MBR to find out the next step, but it has no next step. Sure you can insert a floppy, but for that to boot, it even has to have an MBR. Anything that runs from POST has an MBR.

what i mean is that i just want to get the board to boot then ill put it in the case where all the drives are waiting.

ok. i set the bios setup configuration to normal and the monitor now detects the board. the monitor flickers and the green light is on but there is still no display.

The board to boot, you heard 2 beeps, it's clearly running. And I thought you said you had no visual input, how did you change those BIOS settings. I am sorry I can't help you, you need to give me details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom