Vista or XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DESIGN

Solid State Member
I'm getting my new CPU in the mail today... and I was planning on doing a fresh install of XP when I finally get it but I have been unable to locate my copy of the OS. So now I have the option to install either one... its just a matter of going to my university bookstore and picking up a copy of either for $10.

I have used XP since it came out and I have been quite content. I don't use my computer for much besides listening/downloading MP3s and movies, using Publisher every now and again to update my really BLAND website, playing CS 1.6/Source, play poker online, chat, check email, view pr0n, etc.

Nothing that really requires me to have DX10. Like I said I've been content with XP and I'm not sure if I'd need Vista for anything else...

Given all of that information, and as you can see my hardware from my signature (CPU will be changing over to an Opteron), which direction would you head? I might reinstall Stalker again, but for now my 360 occupies most of my gaming needs.

Just wondering...

Ha! $10? send me a copy any day...

go for vista IF you have the following or better

dual core 2.4hz or P4 3.2ghz
more than 1Gb of ram. i found 1GB didnt quite cut it.
128mb gfx card

otherwise stick with xp

in general id say get vista, seeming as its going to be the standard by next year.

LOl, vista is....nice, i have used it for about 3months now and i loved it at first. But now it seems dull. It always asks you for stuff.
Like when your installing and deleting something, its like

PC:"are you sure you want to continue"?
USER:YES

PC:"Allow this program to install?"

Installing..........finished.

PC:program is incapable of running on ms VISTA
USER: ****K you!

well it doesn't ask you in that way..but you get the idea. And sometimes programs dont work even if you change the setting in compatibility mode.

so i would just say wait until the world catches up (if you get what i mean)

LOl, vista is....nice, i have used it for about 3months now and i loved it at first. But now it seems dull. It always asks you for stuff.
Like when your installing and deleting something, its like

PC:"are you sure you want to continue"?

PC:"Allow this program to install?"

Installing..........finished.

PC:program is incapable of running on ms VISTA
USER: ****K you!

well it doesn't ask you in that way..but you get the idea. And sometimes programs dont work even if you change the setting in compatibility mode.

so i would just say wait until the world catches up (if you get what i mean)

ya thats UAC (User Access Control i think) and you can disable it, which is okay. the only thing i found sucked is that you cant disbale WZG so unless you have third party drivers for ur wireless card, youll have a nasty lag spike every 60 seconds.

ya thats UAC (User Access Control i think) and you can disable it, which is okay. the only thing i found sucked is that you cant disbale WZG so unless you have third party drivers for ur wireless card, youll have a nasty lag spike every 60 seconds.

yeah..anyway vista is great, but i would suggest you dual boot with xp and vista DESIGN. yeap well thats pretty much all there is..

oh yeah which vista are you planin on installin? basic, ultimate etc..

I think that Vista Rules despite it is been defamed by MACoholics, I've been using Vista for about 9 months (Starting with RC1 to The Ultimate Edition) and I've expierienced many upgrades in the performance and of course stability. Vista has no motive to be jealous of xp especially after the 2008 sp1 release.

if you have old hardware or not the greatest hardware and only usually muddle around the pc, just sick with xp...but then again you could just use Vista and get used to things...

I prefer vista...my old machines with xp just make it slightly confusing when switching back and forth, etc

i love them both but i would rather spend my money on games thans vista, so xp m8! depends how much u can get vista for. but i dont think u have the spec not sure, u will have to have a good graphics card to take fulll effect of vista really like areo n the switch windows

Hey jay_bo what happens when the games you get are Vista only?!? Kinda puts you in a predicament there. Considering almost all games are being made for Vista now. Kinda makes little sense to go with XP. Espically when you can get either or for the same price.

true well like i said he best off putting patchs on his games, but he anit listening lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom