Cooling with Ionic Airflow

Status
Not open for further replies.
When air moves because it is pushed, it cools.
not necessarily. depends how hot the air is.

The only way something can cool down is by releasing its heat into its surroundings.

But the surroundings are usually giving heat back to the object, aswell.

So what needs to happen is the surroundings need to have a lower temperature, so not as much heat gets transferred back to the object.

The idea of moving the air is basically so that it can move the air away that's been heated up, and air that hasn't been heated up replaces it.

Can you explain to me why a ceiling fan cools a room? I'm "unenlightened", unlike you.
A lot of the time, they don't. But if they do, it's because they're replacing air that's been heated up with air that hasn't been heated up.

A lot of the time, the room might feel colder with moving air, but actually, it's only the air that's sitting immediately around you.

If air is just sitting still, then your body is going to heat it up, and it's going to stay there a lot longer without a fan - and the hotter air will therefore be transferring more heat back to your body.

*edited for grammar*

Excellent description. It's like the difference of peeing in a pool and an ocean, in a pool the water is mostly stationary so you feel warm longer than in an ocean where the current quickly replaces the water around you.
As for the ionic cooling, I believe its just an attempt at noiseless active cooling. The movement generated is the same as a fan but silent. So what will be better, a 120mm fan at low rpm's with 21dbs or a however small 'Ionic Breeze' clone pushing the same air at 0dbs. Fan: $8, Ionic cooler: $??

If the performance gain is comparable to the cost of the device, not to mention the cost of the heat sink it will be designed for, then it may be a viable solution.

As for myself I believe that cooling in the next 3 years will start incorporating peltier devices into aircooling heatsinks with some form of condensation control, other than coating components with a clear acrylic.

Movement of bulk fluid for cooling is called convection. You're still going to be very subject to the ambient temperature of the room.

Ideally you'd want a duct leading in and out of your computer passing through your heat sink - have air go through with the ionic setup.

If it costs as much as the ionic breeze things it probably wont be worth it.

I guess the big thing here is creating air flow without the use of fans, which would be great in laptops since there really isn't room for a 120mm fan to cool components. That would be strange though, you would have great air flow, but it would be completely silent, erie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom