Cooling with Ionic Airflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Researchers at Purdue recently demonstrated their new "ionic wind" technology that can improve the cooling rate of internal computer components by as much as 250 percent.

This is the sort of dramatic cooling improvement needed for the computer industry to develop lighter weight computers and laptops that are still powerful enough to run high-intensity programs without frying your CPU.
ADVERTISEMENT

The researchers tested the experimental technology on a mock computer chip for observers. It works by generating ion movement between two oppositely charged electrodes. Electrons colliding with air molecules create positively charged ions that then flow toward the negatively charged electrode producing an "ionic wind." This breeze increases the airflow on the surface of the chip, cooling it down.

Researchers used infrared imaging to show that the technology reduced heating on the mock chip from 140 degrees Fahrenheit to about 95 F.

The next step in the research will be to reduce the size of components within the cooling device from the scale of millimeters to microns. They'll also have to make the device more rugged before it is ready for commercial use. If they are able to shrink and toughen the device, Purdue researchers predict the new cooling technology could be introduced into computers within three years.

Source

Cooling: Ionic Wind May Help Cool Computers 250% Better Than Regular Wind - Gizmodo

thats cool..

i went to extremetech at like 6 this morning... was this just posted?

It was in this afternoon. I'd really like to see this experiment, progress.

btw whats the status on ur new build... cuz looks like i ain't building anytime soon...

lmao wow and wen u thought computers were crazy enough.
Ionic Ozone cooled computers
2.4ghz wireless phones could already comminicate over 100feet.
4ghz+ computers and you'll have microwaves coming out of em.

wait they are ionizing the air? wont that be a problem? anyone thought if they charged air particles can build up enough static electricity to fry the whole system? I think that is a serious consideration.

lmao wow and wen u thought computers were crazy enough.
Ionic Ozone cooled computers
2.4ghz wireless phones could already comminicate over 100feet.
4ghz+ computers and you'll have microwaves coming out of em.
microwaves are very low frequency. wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency. (C=[SIZE=-1]λf <-> f=C/[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]λ[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] <-> [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]λ=C/f[/SIZE][SIZE=-1])[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom