2^10 = 1 KB
2^20 = 1 MB
2^30 = 1 GB
2^32 (32-bit) = 2^30 * 2^2 = 1GB * 4 = 4GB
2^40 = 1 TB
2^50 = 1 PB
2^60 = 1 EB
2^64 (64-bit) = 2^60 * 2^4 = 1 EB * 16 = 16 EB

Yet a 32-bit OS can't read the full 4 GB?

Theres a nice article about the 2gb barrier on tomshardware. I only got a couple pages into it before my brain started to hurt, but its not that 32bit OS "can't" handle 4gb of memory, the problem stems somewhere from the adressing. Probably better for you to read it and try to figure it out than me try to describe it.

Ah OK, well I think the basic explanation I found is enough I guess: When Microsoft started building NT, they split the 4GB into 2 halves; 2GB for user programs, and 2GB for everything else. Later when 2GB started to become a limit, they introduced a switch to make it 3GB for user programs and 1GB for everything else.

is ur sig is says windows xp

Have you tried to even read the whole thread?

b1gapl said:
Windows XP x64 can support much more memory; although the theoretical memory limit a 64-bit computer can address is about 16 exabytes (16 billion gigabytes), Windows XP x64 is currently limited to 128 GB (237 bytes) of physical memory and 16 TB (244 bytes) of virtual memory.

That's why I was saying it's insane because Windows Vista x64 can run up to 128GB of RAM.

So the important questions I need answered:

1. So theres compatability diff between 32 bit vista or 64 bit vista?

2. Is it true 64 bit Vista performs better then its 32 bit counterpart? Ive heard the exact opposite

3. When did they say SP1 is coming out for Vista?

Since 64 bit vista is only like 3-4 dollars more, ill prob just get that instead of the 32 bit one...

There is a compatability difference between the two, since 32-bit is the majority of what all software is written for.

64-bit should perform better, than it's 32-bit counterpart.

SP1....Sometime next year?

Just make sure you can find 64-bit drivers and updates, for all your software and hardware, before you go out and buy 64-bit.

There is a compatability difference between the two, since 32-bit is the majority of what all software is written for.

64-bit should perform better, than it's 32-bit counterpart.

SP1....Sometime next year?

Just make sure you can find 64-bit drivers and updates, for all your software and hardware, before you go out and buy 64-bit.

well thats the problem, why buy a "better performing 64 bit OS" if its not compatible with the programs your trying to run. No amount of performance increase justifies not being compatable with something its 32 bit breathern is. Man all I gotta say is I really HATE microsoft and this whole crap operating system fiasco they pulled ( making vista crappy and not having dx10 for xp ). Its almost like their sadistic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom