HDD Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocsvan

Web Programmer
ive just ordered a new 320GB hard drive, and i would like to know how i can transfer EVERYTHING (including os) to the new hard drive from my old 80GB hard drive. the old HDD is connected via IDE, and the new one is connected via SATA2 (i think) my old HDD said it was also SATA300 when i bought it back in the days, but i had to connect that via IDE.

anyway if anyone could help me and give me some sites to go too or some free warez for transfering data, it would be muchos appreciatted.

Set the new HDD as a slave and leave the 80GB as a master then you can start transferring. I don't think there is a way to transfer the OS. You're going to have to install a new fresh OS onto the new 320GB HDD.

Get a copy of Norton Ghost (or at least the boot disk) or some other drive imaging program. I used a Norton Ghost 2003 boot disk floppy to transfer my OS/everything, and it's been running perfectly for about 4 or 5 months now. I can send you the boot disk via PM if you want. You'll need a floppy drive though. The 2003 version is the easiest to use, IMO. There's a direct copy function when you boot off of it, and it took about an hour for me to clone my 80GB (IDE) drive to my 320GB (SATA) drive.

okay then id like a copy of that please would be great. but if theres something that doesnt need floppy, id rather use that. i skipped on a floppy drive when upgrading.

im going to be pulling it apart anyway putting this new HDD in, so i may as well install the floppy too. thanks :)

Check your PM's.

And then do this: hook up the IDE as a slave. Make sure you have already added a partition to the new HDD (do this by right clicking My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > right click on the drive/add partition, unless it''s not formatted yet, then do that). Boot with that disk tha tyou made from the file I sent you, and then do this: Local > Disk to Disk Copy. That will copy EVERYTHING, including the OS. It'll probly take around an hour or so (that's how long it took me, and I have the same sized drives as you). After its done, turn your PC off, unplug your original drive (unplug the power connector AND the IDE cable). Make sure you boot off of your new drive, and see if it works. I'd recommend using it for a few weeks and see if everything works all right/is stable. If it is, then you can go ahead and plug your old drive back in (make sure you boot off of your SATA drive!!!), and then go ahead and format the old drive (go to Disk management, and delete the aprtitions in the drive..make sure you delete the right ones though!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom